[Rarebooks] FS: Grazzini's TUTTI I TRIONFI CARRI, 1750, with 44 portraits of Medici, Machiavelli, etc., never bound

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Wed May 11 12:27:17 EDT 2011

One of the 60 fine new arrivals recently posted on our website as part
of our SPRING MISCELLANY catalog.  See them all here:
http://www.charlesagvent.com

[GRAZZINI, Antonio Francesco (editor)]. TUTTI I TRIONFI CARRI,
MASCHERATE O CANTI CARNASCIALESCHI ANDATI PER FIRENZE DAL TEMPO DEL
MAGNIFICO LORENZO DE' MEDICI FINO ALL' ANNO 1559. In questa seconda
Edizione corretti, con diversi MSS. collazionati, delle loro varie
lezioni arricchiti, notabilmente accresciuti, E co' RITRATTI DI CIASCUN
POETA ADORNATI. Cosmopoli [Lucca]: [Pel Benedini], 1750. Second Edition.
Two quarto (6-1/2" x 9") volumes; [1]-256; [257]-594 pages. Illustrated
with two engraved allegorical pictorial title pages and 44 inserted
portraits engraved after contemporary prints, paintings, and medallions.
Among those depicted are Lorenzo Medici and Niccolo Machiavelli, both of
whom contribute songs to this collection. A very interesting copy for
several reasons. First, it exists in an unbound state with modern board
covers and appears never to have been bound previously. On the
half-title page of each volume in early ink is written a statement in
Italian regarding one F. Enrico of Bologna applying for license. This
copy matches the second impression point of Brunet, V, columns 988-989,
regarding the spelling of "Mostreremvelo," but the information regarding
signatures OO and PP and the errata does not match either the first or
second impression. Graesse, VI: II, page 217, which essentially repeats
in distilled form the information in Brunet. No endpapers present;
offsetting to text from portraits. Near Fine.

A collection of songs for carnivals, processions, masquerades, etc.,
first published in 1559. Grazzini, the compiler, was better known as "Il
Lasca, Academico Fiorentino," a quarrelsome scholar regarded as one of
the masters of Italian prose.         $1,000.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $15.00. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 23rd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com