[Rarebooks] FS: Ludwig Bemelmans ORIGINAL SIGNED WATERCOLOR of Miss Clavell from the MADELINE books

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Thu May 12 09:50:40 EDT 2011

One of the 60 fine new arrivals recently posted on our website as part
of our SPRING MISCELLANY catalog.  See them all here:
http://www.charlesagvent.com

BEMELMANS, Ludwig. THE DONKEY INSIDE. New York: The Viking Press, 1941.
First Edition. A notebook of several voyages through South America, with
a concentration on Ecuador. Illustrated with color plates of the Plaza
Independencia, Quito, Luchow's Restaurant, House and Garden of Andre
Roosevelt in Quito, and Indians in the patio of the Hotel Sucre in
Otavalo. Copy #8 (or possibly "S") of only 175 numbered copies with an
ORIGINAL DRAWING in color SIGNED by the author, in this case a portrait
of Miss Clavell from the author's beloved children's book MADELINE. This
is the first example of this title we have come across that not only
contains a drawing of a character from his famous children's book series
but that is also additionally INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the author, as
this is on the limitation page: "To Eugenio/Prestinario/from/Ludwig
Bemelmans/1941." Pomerance does not indicate a lettered edition, nor
have we heard of another lettered copy, but given the most unusual
nature of this copy, we cannot rule out that it is lettered rather than
numbered. In any case a very scarce example of original art from one of
the best known children's books of the twentieth century. Darkening of
spine and slight soiling to the cloth. Very Good, lacking the slipcase.

This book generated a term unique to Ecuadorian Spanish-- "bemelmans": a
foreigner who makes fun of the natives.         $2,500.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 23rd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com