[Rarebooks] FS: REINEKE FUCHS, one of the finest 19th century illustrated German books, price reduced

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Thu Nov 3 10:08:01 EDT 2011

Price reduced:     Was $1000,      Now $850

GOETHE, Johann Wolfgang (Wilhelm von KAULBACH) . REINEKE FUCHS (REYNARD
THE FOX). Stuttgart und Tubingen: J. G. Cotta, 1846. First Edition. The
scarce First Issue with the suppressed engraving at page 42. Folio
(10-3/4" x 13-1/2") bound in full smooth-grained brown morocco with
gilt-ruled borders, gilt-lettered and decorated spine, all edges gilt. A
handsome edition of this classic in the original German language with an
engraved title page and 36 full-page steel engravings by Wilhelm von
Kaulbach. Mild stain at the very outside margin to varying degrees
throughout, never touching an image or the text. Light to moderate
foxing with little effect on most of the engravings. The binding is
rubbed at the edges and hinges with short splits at the base of the
spine, but the covers are secure. Very Good copy of this attractive
book. (#009870)        $850.00

See images of this title here:

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/009870.JPG

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/009870a.JPG

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/009870aa.JPG

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/009870b.JPG

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/009870c.JPG

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/009870d.JPG

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/009870e.JPG

The suppressed plate:
http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/009870f.JPG

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/009870g.JPG

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $15.00. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 23rd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com