[Rarebooks] FS: Inscribed by Karl Rove to Obama's mother, sort of, price reduced

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Tue Nov 8 14:29:35 EST 2011

Price reduced:     Was $750,      Now $500

[ROOSEVELT, Sara Delano] SEYMOUR, Charles. AMERICAN DIPLOMACY DURING THE
WORLD WAR Inscribed by Edward M. House to Sara Delano Roosevelt.
Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins Press, 1934. First Edition. A comprehensive
diplomatic history of the United States from 1914 to 1918. INSCRIBED and
SIGNED by the dedicatee of the book, Edward Mandell House, on the front
endpaper: "To/Sara Delano Roosevelt:/foremost mother of our
Republic,/with my admiration and affection./E. M. House/1934." Above
this the book is INSCRIBED and INITIALED by Roosevelt: "for my grandson
Elliott/from SDR--." Sara Delano Roosevelt, the dominant mother of only
son Franklin Delano Roosevelt, died exactly three months before the
bombing of Pearl Harbor. Elliott, the fourth child of Franklin and
Eleanor, played a key role in the D-Day invasion. "Colonel" House, to
whom Karl Rove has been compared, was Woodrow Wilson's chief adviser.
Wilson referred to House as "my alter ego" (my other self), and it is
not inaccurate to say that House, not Wilson, was the most powerful
individual in our country during the Wilson Administration. House played
a major role not only in the United States entering World War I but also
in shaping wartime diplomacy. Wilson put him in charge of preparing the
constitution for the League of Nations and of working out an armistice
with the Allies. In 1932 he supported Franklin D. Roosevelt without
joining his inner circle. House also authored the novel PHILIP DRU:
ADMINISTRATOR (1919) whose title character becomes a sinister dictator
of America. In 1921, House founded the still influential Council on
Foreign Relations. Very Good, lacking the dustwrapper. (#013902)
$500.00

See an image of this title here:

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/013902.jpeg

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 23rd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com