[Rarebooks] FS: Two very early letters by poet W. S. Merwin, one mentioning his first book, price reduced

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Thu Oct 6 09:14:43 EDT 2011

Price reduced:    Was $1250   Now  $1000:

MERWIN, W. S. TWO AUTOGRAPH LETTERS SIGNED (ALSs). Mallorca, Spain,
1953. Two very early one-page AUTOGRAPH LETTERS SIGNED by Merwin, one
dated 19 January 1953 and the other 4 December, likely in 1952, the year
his first book was published. Both letters are addressed to W. Price
Turner of Scotland, editor of THE POET magazine. In the earlier letter,
Merwin submits poems [not present] for the Winter issue and briefly
discusses "the unfortunate incompetence of the Spanish postal system."
In the later and lengthier letter, Merwin thanks Turner for a letter and
a copy of his magazine. In part: "It is extremely heartening, ever, to
find a native of the British isles who is aware that American poetry
does exist. Who, if I'm not being impertinent, and for my own amusement,
was the 'overpraised poet' who so happily remarked that it didn't? ...
Oxford University Press has imported 'a limited number' of copies of A
MASK FOR JANUS [Merwin's first book] (whatever that means) at a
horrifying price -- 16s. Which I suppose effectively renders it invalid
in England, whether or not anything else did." Two fine and very early
letters by Merwin, with one envelope addressed by the poet to Turner in
Glasgow, "Escocia (Inglaterra)," with interesting content about his
early work. Near Fine. (#011002)        $1,000.00

See an image of one of the letters here:

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/011002.jpg

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 23rd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com