[Rarebooks] fa: JAMES I - REMONSTRANCE FOR THE RIGHT OF KINGS - 1616

Ardwight Chamberlain ardchamber at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 12 10:53:54 EDT 2011

Listed now, along with other 17th, 18th & 19th-Century English titles,
auctions ending Monday, October 17. More details and images can be
found at the URL below or by searching under the seller name arch_in_la.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/arch_in_la/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

Thanks,
Ardwight Chamberlain
L.A.

James I: A Remonstrance of the most Gratious King Iames I. King of
Great Brittaine, France, and Ireland, Defender of the Faith, &c. For
the Right of Kings, and the independance of their Crownes. Against an
Oration of the most Illustrious Card. of Perron, pronounced in the
Chamber of the third Estate. Ian. 15. 1615. Translated out of his
Maiesties French Copie. [Cambridge:] Printed by Cantrell Legge,
Printer to the Vniuersitie of Cambridge, 1616. First Edition in
English. Small 4to (18.5 x 14.5 cm) in full modern calf; [24] + 281 +
[1] pp. (pages 208, 209 transposed in the pagination, but register is
continuous). Bound without the initial blank leaf. ESTC S107609; STC
14369.

Title-page soiled with loss to the corners, laid down; subsequent 8-9
leaves with their fore-corners soiled and chipped to a lesser degree
(not affecting any text); first and last leaf of text somewhat browned
and soiled with minor edge-wear; the rest of the text-block mildly age-
toned with occasional small spots and light stains in the margins; one
page with early/original owner's small, tidy marginal note and
underlining; otherwise very clean and firmly bound in a handsome
modern calf binding (small bookbinder's label on the rear paste-down).
James I's spirited defense of monarchs and civil authority from the
meddling of popes. Along the way, he attacks the French clergy and
nobles who, having rejected the oath of allegiance proposed by the
Third Estate in the aftermath of Henri IV's assassination, remained,
in James's view, "of this pernicious opinion; that Popes may tosse the
French King his Throne like a tennis ball, and that killing of Kinges
is an acte meritorious to the purchase of the crowne of Martyrdome." A
lively and effective counterblast against the doctrine of papal
authority in temporal affairs, often surprisingly ironic, even
sarcastic, in tone. Uncommon: ESTC locates copies in only six U.S.
institutions (Folger, Harvard, Huntington, UKansas, UTexas, UIllinois).