[Rarebooks] FS: Fine ARCHIVE OF LETTERS: 21 pages from the author of ANGELA'S ASHES

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Mon Oct 17 11:44:56 EDT 2011

McCOURT, Frank. ARCHIVE OF LETTERS: 21 pages. Superb archive of seven
letters from the author of ANGELA'S ASHES to R'Lene Dahlberg, fellow
teacher at Stuyvesant High School, friend, wife of author Edward
Dahlberg, and muse. Mostly chatty correspondence, all but two pages
handwritten by McCourt, complete with hand-addressed envelopes and
mostly written in New York City. In one letter McCourt describes being
at Rockaway Beach with his daughter Maggie who is searching for her lost
hamster with a friend: "The little bugger won't come out. I've tempted
him with everything from carrots to watercress. I've made assorted
seductive noises. I've exposed mineself. I've even promised him a night
out with a hamsteress. To no avail. Maggie & Clare are less interested
in hamsters than in boys. It's all boys now. Boys, boys, boys. I'll
break her face. She checks herself out in the mirror by the hour. I told
her cut it out. She [sic] wearing out the mirror. Also, I'm getting an
education in teeny bop mating habits and teeny bop music. Pubescence is
a pain in the arse." In the same letter he describes an encounter with
"a maiden" who "had her way with me on the pitcher's mound in the local
baseball field. She was a Catholic, too, and told me I was much better
than a state of grace. You could always regain your state of grace, she
said, but the way I was drinking she decided to get me while she could
before I became a shadow of my former self. Does this make sense to you?
I'll clean it all up in the novel I'm writing called IN THE FLESH."
McCourt also discusses the IRA, his divorce from Alberta, his tour with
his brother Malachi and the rave reviews they were getting, how much he
likes Chicago, teaching, etc. In one letter he gives a list of saints.
All letters are SIGNED "Frank," with one SIGNED "Frank, son of Angela."
Also included is a handwritten note by R'Lene Dahlberg describing her
relationship to McCourt which, by all accounts, seems to have cooled
dramatically upon the publication of the Pulitzer Prize winning ANGELA'S
ASHES. Folds from mailing. Near Fine.

McCourt admired Edward Dahlberg's superb autobiography BECAUSE I WAS
FLESH and modeled his own ANGELA'S ASHES after it, both writers casting
their mothers as the central characters. Both emerged from impoverished
childhoods to achieve success, though Dahlberg's was critical rather
than financial. Dahlberg was dead when ANGELA’S ASHES was published in
1996, but his former wife, R'lene Dahlberg, was alive. She was the first
person to encourage McCourt to publish his work and stated in a private
note (included here) that she "got him his first publication- called 'If
you live in a lane.'" Her importance to McCourt was publicly
acknowledged by him in his book where she is listed first on the
Acknowledgments page:

"This is a small hymn to an exhaltation of women.
R'lene Dahlberg fanned the embers."

McCourt told friends a funny tale of walking with Edward Dahlberg down
Second Avenue. Dahlberg was "pontificating like Jehova" and as they
approached the Jewish funeral home where his "sainted" mother had been
laid out, Dahlberg stepped in dog excrement.

"How can letters flourish in the commonwealth," Dahlberg immediately
raved, "when pederasts are permitted to parade their poodles to dung on
the pavement!"

He removed his soiled shoe and threw it in the city garbage can,
continuing home with one shoe on and one shoe gone.

(#015347) $7,500.00

See a sample here:

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/015347.JPG

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 23rd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com