[Rarebooks] FS: Voyages/History New York

Michelle Levick bookmaven at comcast.net
Sat Oct 29 12:36:02 EDT 2011

For your consideration:
American Commonwealths: New York the Planting and the Growth of the Empire State, Two Volumes,  ($25.0 PP Media Mail)
Roberts, Ellis H.; Edited By Horace E. Scudder, Houghton Mifflin Co., Boston, 1887. First Edition:
A history of the development of the Commonwealth of New York; beginning in 1524-1615 - discovery by the French - their invasion fails (before the advent of the English), through to 1880. A comprehensive and detailed chronology of it's founding, the colonies their development, Indian conflicts, tribes, trade, Indian practices,  property boundaries, rivers, forts, missionaries, governments, parties and leaders, war involvrments and political Historic events, land development, waterways, agriculture, races, education, Constitutions and Jurisprudence, literary activity, land and rent, etc. First volume has a fold-out color map of the Commonwealth of NY.
Brown cloth boards and spine, bright gilt lettering. White ex-lib numbers & letters to lower spine, upper spine ends rubbed, vol. II, small closed tear upper spine end. Both volumes, ex-lib plates to pastedown, f.e.p. torn to upper and lower areas, small old booksellers plate to lower edge; ex-lib stamp perforation to title page, numbers to reverse. Text clean and bright with mild toning, solidly bound. Volumes are tight, seems to be unread. 12 mo, 758 pp total.

Journal of A Voyage to New York, and A Tour in Several of the American Colonies in 1679-80   ( $125.00 PP Media Mail)
Dankers, Jasper and Sluyter, Peter of  Wiewerd  In Friesland, Long Island Historical Society, Brooklyn NY 1867, First Edition:
Translated From The Original Manuscript In Dutch For The Long Island Historical Society, and Edited by Henry C. Murphy.

Volume I. only, 1000 copies, Octavo, 100 copies, Royal Octavo. A fascinating historical diary of 17th century Dutch colonists voyage, observances and experiences, while looking for re-settlement in America. Lengthy 'Introduction," by Henry C. Murphy. Inclusive of details on sea travel, geography, genealogy, culture, colonies, encounters with Indian Tribes, Quakers and Labadists, settlers, etc. Jasper Danckaerts and Pieter Sluyter, Wiewerd Friesland, Netherlands, two Labadist priests seeking to find a new colony in America. In 1769 they sailed on small Flute-ship called the "Charles," from Holland. They traveling through Long Island, up to the Hudson to Albany, then eastward to Boston, through New Jersey and along the Delaware to Maryland where they visited the first Labadist communistic type Settlement. Including twelve plates, various fold-out: Plate I. Fishes, Indian Woman; II. View of The Entrance at Sandy Hook from Fort Hamilton; III. View of New York From The Southeast; IV. View of New York form the East; V. View of New York form the North. "The preceding plates are in facsimile of the original drawings accompanying the manuscript. The following are new drawings, rectifying some portions of them; except the last, which is a view of the present appearance of the De Hart house at Gouanes, where the travelers were entertained and the Indians held their cantecoy,(ref. journal pgs.). VI. Map of the South or Delaware River From the Falls to Burlington; VII. View of New York from the North; VIII. The Stadthuys of New York In 1679; IX. North View of The Dock, New York, 1679; X. The Water Gate, Foot of Wall St., New York, 1679; XI. The East River Shore North of The Water Gate, New York, 1679; XII. The De Hart House, On Gouanes Bay (as it appears in 1867); Views Mentioned In the Text But Not Found Accompanying The Manuscript; Views Omitted. Chaperts Conents: Preface; Introduction; Voyage to New York; New York and Its Vicinity; Journey to the Delaware; The Hudson and Its Affluents; Boston, and the Voyage Home; Index; List of Plates.
Three quarter light brown morocco leather over moarbled maroon boards. Gilt title and date of publishing. Ex-libris plate to front paste down: The Charles S. Boyer Memorial Library, Camden County Historical Society, 1899, NJ.  Small library numbers in ink to upper plate. Small square old booksellers sticker to rear paste down lower edge. Top edge gilt. Few spots to rear leather.Moderate rubbing of leather and extremities. Very clean, hinges tight, plates extremely nice. Please click for image. xlvii, 440 pp.  First Edition, Royal Octavo.