[Rarebooks] FS: True First of Pulitzer Prize winning THE BRIDGE OF SAN LUIS REY, with a fine INSCRIPTION by Wilder to a mentor

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Thu Sep 1 09:50:22 EDT 2011

We have MANY fine Thornton Wilder items in our inventory including
signed books, photographs and letters.  All can be seen at
http://www.charlesagvent.com

WILDER, Thornton. THE BRIDGE OF SAN LUIS REY. London: Longmans, Green &
Co., 1927. First Edition. First British Edition, preceding the American
edition by a few days, of this winner of Wilder's first of three
Pulitzer Prizes. INSCRIBED and SIGNED on the the front endpaper: "For
Mrs. Isaacs/with the affection/of one of
her/boys/Thornton/Lawrenceville/November/1927." The recipient appears to
be Edith Isaacs, editor of THEATRE ARTS magazine, whom he befriended in
the early 1920s while teaching at the Lawrenceville School in New
Jersey. Isaacs offered much encouragement to Wilder, including
recommending that he apply for a Guggenheim Fellowship in order to
finish THE BRIDGE OF SAN LUIS REY, for which he was declined. Briefest
of wear to the spine tips of the book. Dustwrapper with a long closed
tear along the front flap joint (neatly masked by the mylar protector),
chips at the spine tips but not affecting the lettering, and general
edgewear with the spine darkened. About Fine in a scarce, Very Good
example of the dustwrapper. (#012072)        $4,500.00

See an image of this title here:

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/012072.jpg

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 23rd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com