[Rarebooks] FS: Spirit Rapping Unveiled, 1853/ My Wife and I, Harriet Beecher Stowe

Michelle Levick bookmaven at comcast.net
Wed Sep 28 13:54:36 EDT 2011

> For your consideration:  "Spirit Rapping Unveiled," by Rev. Hiram Mattison, Mason Brothers, NY 1853, First Edition:
Rev. Hiram Mattison was the Pastor of John Street Church in New York, the oldest Methodist Church in the United States. Mattison born in Jersey City, NJ 1811- died 1868.  In this work "An Expose of the Origin, History, Theology and Philosophy of certain alleged communications from the Spirit World, by means of  'Spirit Rapping," "Medium Writing," "Physical Demonstrations," , etc., he refutes the scope of contacting the dead through methods of physical phenomena. During the Victorian period spiritism and channeling became the height of fashion, the Ouija Board and séances became popular parlor games. Chapter headings: History and Alleged Phenomena; Alleged Causes - Theory of Spiritual Intercourse; The Intermediate State;' Witches, Wizards, etc., of The Bible; Apparitions, Ancient and Modern; Various Alleged Spirit Media Considered; Theology of the "Spirits"; Literature of the "Spirits"; Science and Philosophy of the "Spirits"; Mistakes and Contradictions of the "Spirits"; Astonishing Revelations by the Spirits; Effects of Spirit-Rapping; Causes of Alleged Spiritual Phenomena, Conclusion. Mattison cites actual cases, and methods, and incorporates ancient writings from the Bible in his "expose".   Illustrations by N. Orr. Brown cloth gilt lettering and decoration to spine. Stamped design to boards. Front board has binders cloth tape to joint, parts of spine repaired, chip to upper spine near front joint, one inch chip to lower spine, should be rebound. Mild bumping of corners. Text mildly toned and foxed, good font easy to read. Ex-Library numbers to lower spine, red stamp below title page date "Property of United Spiritualists Church 41 West 73rd Street New York 23 NY," clean ex-library panels to rear ep and paste down. Solidly bound, 192 pp. sm 8 vo.  First Edition. (5970)  $110.00 Free Media Mail Shipping

My wife and I: or, Harry Henderson's History, by Harriet Beecher Stowe, J.B. Ford and Co., NY.  1871, First  Edition:
Purple board, black design to front board, with title. Spine, same design with gilt lettering, ends rubbed with short closed tears, 1/4 inch cloth hole to lower joint, mild sunning. Green end papers, old private ex-libris plate to paste down, stained and torn, three tiny scars to e.p. remnants from ex-libris plate. Seven plates, plus tissue covered frontispiece. Rear has 7 pages of ads. Under author's name to title page "author of "Uncle Tom's Cabin,"  "Pink and White," , etc. First Edition. BAL. 19462. sm. 8 vo., 474 (last page slightly unevenly cut to edge)  Clean bright text, solidly bound. In protective polyester archival clear wraps.
Harriet Beecher Stowe (1811-1896), the most popular American writer of her time (Uncle Tom's Cabin). Harriet and her husband had seven children, two were twins, Harriet and Eliza. The twins never married and lived with their parents. When the twins were young, Harriet worried that they were becoming too frivolous; however they went on to become responsible women, family oriented with active social lives. Harriet Beecher Stowe conveys her feelings of concern in this characterization of the young twins in this book; she paints a picture of the modern emancipated woman of advanced ideas and free behavior.   $55.00 MM Free