[Rarebooks] FS: A FEW ART BOOKS

Norman Kane nkane at kanebooks.com
Tue Apr 3 23:47:16 EDT 2012

JOSEF HERMAN. PAINTINGS AND DRAWINGS.  London, 1967.  1st edition with nice inscription by the author and full-page TLS from him tipped in, 1969. Inscription and TLS addressed to Margaret Plass, noted collector of the art of French-speaking Africa. "...bringing you to see my humble collection and introducing us to each other has put me in a still greater debt of gratitude...As far as I am concerned, the Friday, was a red-letter-day. I mean it! Forgive me for being so outspoken, but I had to tell you the feeling you have left with us at Holly Lodge."  Approximately 11 x 9-3/4 inches in red cloth with original pictorial dust wrapper. Dust wrapper is missing large chip at bottom edge and several small closed tears at top edge. Several dust wrapper tears neatly mended on interior. Introduction by Edwin Mullins. Includes eight color-illustrations tipped in, and other illus.

HAFEY, John  and Tom SHILLEA.  THE PLATINUM PRINT.  Rochester, 1979.  1st edition. 11-1/2 x 9 inches; [10], 119 pages. Original pictorial wraps. Introduction to the plates by Marianne Fulton Margolis. Profusely illustrated with duotone plates. Small closed tear on rear cover. This volume is a record of the exhibition at RIT entitled "The Contemporary Platinotype" showing the work of 22 contemporary photographers. Includes a history of the platinum process, an extensive bibliography and a technical appendix. A nice copy.

DALI.  DIARY OF A GENIUS.  1965.  "Final Galley Proof" in plain wraps. Narrow 4to, (12 x 6 inches). Glue stains on front wrapper, some pencil notes on 1 leaf. Printed on the rectos only with blank spaces where illustrations were to go. Curiously enough, the publisher's name appears on the title page as  "Double" rather than "Doubleday," (it appears correctly on the copyright page).

HIND, Arthur.  A HISTORY OF ENGRAVING & ETCHING FROM THE 15TH CENTURY TO THE YEAR 1914.   1st US edition, Third, fully revised edition with "A Short History of Engraving and Etching."  Approximately 10 x 7-1/2 inches in original red cloth with gilt lettering  on spine; covers a little scuffed.  Top edge gilt. Frontis photogravure of Durer's "The Offer of Love." Includes more than 100 black & white text illustrations. Small stamp of John Taylor Arms (noted American artist, 1887-1953)  on front free endpaper.

BAIRATI, ELEONORA et al.  LA BELLE EPOQUE 1900 - 1915: FIFTEEN EUPHORIC YEARS OF EUROPEAN HISTORY.
11.75 x 7.75 inches; 334 pages. Original red boards lettered in white. Pictorial dust wrapper. Illustrated throughout in color and in black & white with works of European art from 1900 until the beginning of World War I.

SIMPSON, Marc;  Henderson, Andrea;  Mills, Sally.  1992.  Quarto, approx 10.25 x 10.25 inches. 1st edition, in dust wrapper. 73 color plates & 56 black-and-white illustrations. Orig teal cloth, spine lettered in gilt. Tipped in is a 1 page autograph letter signed "Henry" on the letterhead of Henry Luce III, including the remark "We funded the show at the San Francisco Museums." ("Haseltine [1835-1900] painted some of the handsomest landscapes produced by an American artist during the second half of the 19th Century, the heyday of the Hudson River School and the Luminists." Includes a comprehensive chronology of the artist's life compiled from letters and other contemporary accounts of exhibitions, &c.)

THE LOT, $75.00 NETT + POSTAGE

THE AMERICANIST
(NORMAN KANE-ABAA EMERITUS)
113 CREEK'S EDGE, CHAPEL HILL, NC
27516 PH: 919 967 9287 FAX - 919 338 8081
nkane at kanebooks.com
libri sono la nostra gioia e la nostra salute