[Rarebooks] FS: Woody Guthrie AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED on the Current Folk Music Scene and Championing Pete Seeger

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Tue Apr 10 10:21:24 EDT 2012

We will have this with us in our booth A-21 at the 52nd Annual New York
Antiquarian Book Fair at the Park Avenue Armory at 67th Street, April 12
- 15.

GUTHRIE, Woody . AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS). [Brooklyn], 1955. First
Edition. Interesting AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED, three pages on adjoining
panels of an off-white folding paper towel (7-1/2" x 9-1/2"), dated “On
top of old April,” 1955 and sent to SING OUT, the influential folk music
magazine still publishing today. Using several colors of ink, Guthrie
writes what seems to be an overview of the current folk music scene
concentrating on and comparing the young and upcoming Pete Seeger and
Ewan MacColl, folk singer and partner of Peggy Seeger. In part
[Guthrie’s spellings and grammar retained]: “Artists … do sing up and
out with the pure old truth in bigger bunches and at better lower &
cheaper price than I hear it sung around any other … old printin shop or
office…. I sure do believe that Petey Seeger is a real champion at more
jobs then floggin his wire stringy banjo ... singing his ever better &
better & better and better … songs. He sounds honester to my poor old
exploited ear than Ewan Macall’s [Ewan MacColl]. I don’t rekon that
Macall has ever walked his land from end to end like Pete has…. Macall
ever try to make his grat country’s own poverty and misery and deep …
hunger and wories and fears … and hopes all rhyme … beat to time of a
ballad song on any musicyial instrument like Pete has and habitually
does…. I guess Ewan is a fine … honest hard workin’ man like England and
Scotland … so full of by the uncounted millions and to me Ewan does the
best job of singing exactly what his pappa and his mama and all his
ancestors and all of his back generations of dead miners have told Ewan
and had sung to him all his life about. He sounds too muchly slick &
polished and rehearsed and thin to me—because he sings not about what
his own life sees around him but what his ancestors lived thru and heard
and sang out about. They made up their ballads to tell how hard … every
minute and every hour … and every nite…. When I sit and just read those
printed words in my … lp album here I get this terrible feeling again
that I’m living in the place and scenery where it all takened place and
where it all happened at but Ewan’s records fail to live quite up in
their feelings when I play them.” Guthrie closes, “Every word you folks
print up there is printed on a high high hard hittin’ hard fightin’
level and all your printed words needs is just a…jillion people to sing
em up and out in your high militante spirit.” Folds and light
show-through to text resulting from the nature of the material,
otherwise clean, bright, and Fine .

At the time of writing, Guthrie was a patient at the Brooklyn State
Hospital (whose name he adds below his signature), where he spent a
number of years in treatment for a number of maladies. After a number of
diagnoses, including alcoholism and schizophrenia, it was finally
determined that Guthrie’s suffered from Huntington’s disease, a genetic
condition that had earlier claimed his mother’s life. (#016459) $15,000.00

See images here:

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/016459.jpeg

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/016459a.jpeg

--
All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.  Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost.  Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express, and Discover accepted.  Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given.  Please insure returns for their full value.  We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Signed Books, Presidential Autographs, Illustrated Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books.  We are celebrating our 24th year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.  Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com