[Rarebooks] FS: Luther Burbank Inscribed to Jacob Riis

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Thu Apr 12 16:49:29 EDT 2012

One of many interesting new arrivals not yet listed on the internet but
in our booth A-21 at the New York Book Fair.

BURBANK, Luther. THE TRAINING OF THE HUMAN PLANT. New York: The Century
Co., 1908. First Edition. Early but not first printing, which was in
April 1907, of this title which advocated improved treatment of children
and eugenic practices such as keeping the unfit and first cousins from
marrying. INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the author on the front endpaper to
Jacob Riis: "To Jacob Riis/with the profound admiration/of/Luther
Burbank/Santa Rosa Cal Mar 20th/1909." Small stain at the top of the
front cover. Very Good or better.

Luther Burbank was an American botanist, horticulturist, and a pioneer
in agricultural science who developed more than 800 strains and
varieties of plants. Jacob Riis was a pioneering photojournalist and
author of the influential book HOW THE OTHER HALF LIVES, an illustrated
examination of poverty in New York City. His work influenced Lincoln
Steffens and helped to create what would become "muckraking" or
investigative journalism. (#016440)        $1,250.00

See an image here:

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/016440.jpg

--
All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.  Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost.  Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express, and Discover accepted.  Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given.  Please insure returns for their full value.  We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Signed Books, Presidential Autographs, Illustrated Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books.  We are celebrating our 24th year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.  Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com