[Rarebooks] FS: THE WRITINGS OF JOHN MUIR, 10 volumes, with a leaf of ORIGINAL MANUSCRIPT by Muir

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Fri Apr 20 16:23:37 EDT 2012

MUIR, John. THE WRITINGS OF JOHN MUIR. Boston & New York: Houghton
Mifflin Company, 1916-1924. First Edition. Complete in ten volumes, The
Manuscript Edition of Muir's Collected Works containing a leaf of
ORIGINAL MANUSCRIPT by Muir in the first volume. BAL 14775. Copy #684 of
750 bound in the publisher's green cloth with gilt-lettered leather
spine labels. Nicely illustrated with numerous plates including
photogravures after photographs by Herbert Gleason and others as well as
maps. The finest set of Muir's writings published enhanced by the leaf
of original manuscript, in this case a fine example containing about 55
words, including a few corrections: "the climbing to any dangerous
extent; &/as the weather was profoundly calm, & the/distance to the base
of the mountain/only a little more than a day, I was/running no great
risk of being caught in a storm./Ritter is King of the Alps & had
never/been climbed. I had explored the." Spines mildly and evenly
sunned, slight chipping to some spine labels. Near Fine and rather
uncommon in this condition. (#015341)        $2,500.00

See an image here:

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/015341.jpg

--
All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.  Postage additional: $20.00.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost.  Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express, and Discover accepted.  Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given.  Please insure returns for their full value.  We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Signed Books, Presidential Autographs, Illustrated Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books.  We are celebrating our 24th year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.  Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com