[Rarebooks] FS: Verses on Death of Dr. Swift -Tern Press 1/95

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Mon Aug 6 08:29:45 EDT 2012

TITLE: “Verses on the Death of Dr. Swift, D.S.P.D. occasioned by reading a
Maxim of Rochefoucault”

By Jonathan Swift.
Published by the Tern Press in 1992.
Edition limited to 95 copies.

DISCUSSION: A beautiful fine-press edition of Swift’s famous and witty
pre-obituary poem. Swift worked on the piece for several years, and in
1738 an English printer published an edited, shortened version, which did
not please Swift. In February, 1739 the full version was published in
Dublin. In the poem Swift wittily recalls some incidents in his life, and
imagines how his friends, and enemies, will react to his death and what
they will say after he is gone- “For Poetry, he’s past his Prime, - He
takes an Hour to find a Rhime; - His Fire is out, his Wit decay’d; - His
Fancy sunk, his Muse a Jade, - I’d have him throw away his Pen; - But
there’s no talking to some Men.”. Swift’s poem remains as a singular,
unforgettable and unique self-written epitaph. This finely-printed edition
includes notes and a commentary by A. Norman Jeffares.

Zerkall paper with 9 lino prints. Patterned covers.

CONDITION NOTES: Minor wear, light soil, but otherwise clean and nice,
with a tight binding.

PRICE: $125~

SOME PICTURES =>

<http://www.joslinhall.com/images363/th-36411-cover.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images363/th-36411-cover2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images363/th-36411-page1.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images363/th-36411-page2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images363/th-36411-page3.jpg>

 - -

Our WEBSITE-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our BLOG-
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

On TWITTER-
<https://twitter.com/joslinhall>

Our EMAIL LIST-

Our LATEST CATALOG-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_current.htm>

 ~ ~ ~

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.