[Rarebooks] FS: Fine SIGNED Quotation by Oliver Wendell Holmes

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Thu Aug 16 08:24:32 EDT 2012

One of many 19th century literary first editions, signed books, letters,
manuscripts, and photographs in stock:

HOLMES, Oliver Wendell. AUTOGRAPH QUOTATION SIGNED. Boston, 7 March
1878. On a small piece of paper (6-7/8" x 3-1/8") the author has written
the following four lines from one of his poems: "From my north window in
the wintry weather,/My airy oriel on the river shore,--/I watch the sea
fowl as they flock together/Where late the boatman flashed his dipping
oar." Below this he has SIGNED "Oliver Wendell Holmes/Boston March 7th
1878." Slight vertical crease at center. A Fine example from this noted
author and doctor.

Physician and writer, Holmes earned fame early on when in 1830 at the
age of 21 his poem "Old Ironsides" galvanized national sentiment to save
the USS Constitution from destruction. In the 1850s, THE ATLANTIC
MONTHLY, which Holmes had founded with James Russell Lowell, began to
publish his essays and poems which were later collected in his popular
book THE AUTOCRAT OF THE BREAKFAST TABLE (1858). Among his medical
accomplishments were several important publications, the invention of an
early stethoscope, and promoting the term "anesthesia" for the state
induced by the new gases. (#015371)        $600.00

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/015371.jpg
--

All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com