[Rarebooks] FS: 1802 Book- A Treatise on Razors by London Barber Kingsbury

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Fri Aug 17 08:00:09 EDT 2012

TITLE: "A Treatise on Razors; in which the Weight, Shape and Temper of a
Razor, the means of keeping it in order, and the manner of using it, are
particularly considered; and in which it is intended to convey a knowledge
of all that is necessary on this subject"

By Benjamin Kingsbury.
Printed in London by W. Blackader in 1802. 3rd edition.

DISCUSSION: Kingsbury was in the trade himself, and apparently at least a
little controversy ensued after he first published this pamphlet in late
1797-

"I could wish to reflect on the number of contradictory opinions... I wish
them to consider the many unpleasant feelings they have experienced, the
many bitter complaints they have uttered, in consequence of bad razors".

The pamphlet was republished several times, but all editions are scarce.

Kingsbury's retail and wholesale razor and shaving shop on St. James
Street on the rear cover.

CONDITION NOTES: A little soil and chipping at the extremities, a few page
corners folded; the spine has split and is coming away for about 3.5"
inches from the bottom. Overall a nice copy in the original,
unsophisticated state.

PRICE: $500.00

SOME PICTURES =>

<http://www.joslinhall.com/images30/th-31283-cover.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images30/th-31283-page1.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images30/th-31283-page2.jpg>

Our WEBSITE-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our BLOG-
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

On TWITTER-
<https://twitter.com/joslinhall>

Our EMAIL LIST-

Our LATEST CATALOG-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_current.htm>

 ~ ~ ~

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.