[Rarebooks] FS: Franklin D. Roosevelt Writes a Letter to his Son Inviting Him to Attend the Democratic Convention

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Fri Aug 31 10:25:52 EDT 2012

ROOSEVELT, Franklin Delano. AUTOGRAPHED LETTER SIGNED (ALS) to his son
James about attending the Democratic Convention. A one-page AUTOGRAPH
LETTER on Roosevelt's Fidelity and Deposit Company of Maryland
stationery, completely in FDR's hand, to his son James Roosevelt SIGNED
as "Father." In full: "All accomodations [sic] are booked for 8:30 p.m.
Friday & we'll have a grand time-- By the way find out about when you
can leave Cambridge in the Spring -- what do you say to your & Elliot
going with me to the Houston Convention which starts June 26th? I ought
to get there the 24th at the latest. Hope the exams are coming all
right-- Much love Devotedly Father." Though undated, this letter's
reference to the Houston Democratic Convention on June 26 firmly places
it in 1928. In October of that year, Roosevelt would be convinced to run
for Governor of New York, a position he won by a very narrow margin. In
the next Democratic Convention four years later, Roosevelt would win the
nomination as President and the election to his first of four
unprecedented terms. After attending but not graduating from Harvard,
James Roosevelt became an insurance executive, a position he left in
1937 to become secretary to his father in the White House. He was
decorated for his service as a Marine in World War II. Autograph letters
completely in Franklin Roosevelt's hand are quite scarce; those to
family members exceptionally so. This with the envelope addressed in
FDR's hand to Mr. James Roosevelt. Normal creases from folding. Near
Fine with envelope. (#013350) $4,500.00

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/013350.JPG

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com