[Rarebooks] FS: First Edition of Hesse's SIDDHARTHA, Inscribed by Henry Miller with two letters

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Thu Dec 27 20:20:33 EST 2012

*From our new WINTER MISCELLANY catalog containing 50 select items, all
new arrivals, priced from $50 to $20,000.  Images for all of these items
can be found on our website-- http://www.charlesagvent.com --by
searching for the book.*

HESSE, Herman (MILLER, Henry). SIDDHARTHA. EINE INDISCHE DICHTUNG. (New
York): The New Classics Series (New Directions), (1951). First American
Edition. First English language Trade Edition, preceded only by New
Direction's slipcased limited edition. First issue with "Patterson" on
the verso of the half-title page. Translated from the German by Hilda
Rosner. SIGNED and INSCRIBED by Henry Miller on the front free endpaper:
"To Mrs. Edna Liebmann/who, I hope, will/spread the good/news./Henry
Miller/8/10/52." Laid in are two AUTOGRAPH LETTERS SIGNED (ALSs) by
Miller to Liebmann with the original mailing envelopes addressed in
Miller's hand from 1957 and 1958. Dustwrapper art by Alvin Lustig. Fine
in a Very Good dustwrapper with a short, closed tear at the bottom front
and a sunned spine.

One of this Nobel Prize winner's two famous and important novels, the
other being of course STEPPENWOLF. Hesse based this book on the early
life of Gautama Buddha. The story of a son rebelling against his
father's teaching and traditions and eventually finding true
enlightenment resonated with those maturing in the 1960s and 1970s
making this title something of a cult classic. It was made into a
beautiful film in 1972 by Conrad Rooks. (#016779)        $1,500.00

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/016779.jpg
--

All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com