[Rarebooks] FS: SHERLOCK HOLMES in 8 volumes, the Definitive text, Designed by W. A. Dwiggins, with photogravure reproductions of the original illustrations

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Sat Feb 18 11:44:56 EST 2012

 From one of the world's largest inventories of Limited Edition Club
books for sale with nearly all titles available at any given time.  If
you don't see it on our website

http://www.charlesagvent.com

ask, as we carry hundreds of LECs we have yet to catalog and are always
in the process of acquiring more.

DOYLE, Arthur Conan. THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES together with THE
LATER ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES and THE FINAL ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK
HOLMES. New York: Limited Editions Club, 1950 & 1952. Eight octavo
volumes (6" x 9-1/8") bound in gilt-stamped quarter black linen and
wall-paper sides with a cameo decoration reproducing the section of the
wall over the mantel in Mrs. Hudson's chambers at 221B baker Street
showing two examples of Sherlock Holmes's prowess in emblazoning the
initials of Victoria Regina "in bullet-pocks," with the cameo being a
portrait of the shooter smoking his pipe. The definitive text edited by
Edgar Smith with an introduction by Vincent Starrett. Designed by W. A.
Dwiggins with a selective collation of the original illustrations by
Frederic Dorr Steele, Sidney Paget, and others, reproduced as sheet-fed
photogravures. Of a total of 1500 copies, this copy is not numbered (in
place of the number is written in ink "Office Copy") and bears the
Club's blindstamp stating it is one of 25 presentation copies, with the
first set's stamp stating it is one of 15 presentation copies. Issued
unsigned. The complete LEC Holmes. Near Fine in Very Good slipcases with
typical rubbing and the slipcase for the final set split along the top
edge. (#016300)        $500.00

See images here:

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/011865.JPG

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/011866.JPG

--
All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.  Postage additional: $25.00.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost.  Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express, and Discover accepted.  Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given.  Please insure returns for their full value.  We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Signed Books, Presidential Autographs, Illustrated Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books.  We are celebrating our 24th year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.  Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com