[Rarebooks] FS: Fine George Washington Carver Letter

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Wed Feb 29 11:13:11 EST 2012

CARVER, George Washington. AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS). Tuskegee, AL,
9 April 1933. Fine 2-page SIGNED letter on the front and rear of a sheet
of Tuskegee Institute letterhead: @225 words to a student addressed as
"My very own precious boy, Mr. Davis." A typically effusive letter but
with some scientific content as well. In part: "Mr. Ford had decided not
to push the project he wanted me to look over.... I have what they need
worked out in the laboratory. I want them to see it. I cannot take it
all up there." Henry Ford and Carver became friends during the course of
the work Carver did for him in using plant weed to produce synthetic
rubber and in developing a plastic material from soybeans that Ford used
in parts of his automobile. Carver concludes, "Dear, the coconut (cocus
nucifera) is propagated almost wholly from the seed, (the nut itself)
the young plants come out from the two little eye like spots. The nuts
grow in bunches similar to grapes from 12 to 15 in a bunch, at the top
of the tree. I dreampt that we were traveling together last night, it
seemed to be in some foreign country. I could not tell where." Carver of
course is best known for his discoveries of the many products that could
be made from peanuts, 325 to be exact, including milk, cheese, instant
coffee, printer's ink, vinegar, dyes, soap, and wood stains. He was born
a slave and as an infant was stolen and ransomed in exchange for a
racehorse. Normal creases from folding. About Fine. (#010034)
$1,000.00

See an image here:

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/010034.jpg

--
All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.  Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost.  Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express, and Discover accepted.  Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given.  Please insure returns for their full value.  We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Signed Books, Presidential Autographs, Illustrated Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books.  We are celebrating our 24th year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.  Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com