[Rarebooks] FS: Two books and one photograph SIGNED by Martin Luther King, Jr.

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Mon Jan 16 11:08:04 EST 2012

KING, Martin Luther, Jr. [Martin Luther King, Jr.]. WHERE DO WE GO FROM
HERE: CHAOS OR COMMUNITY? New York: Harper & Row, (1967). First Edition.
INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the author on the front free endpaper: "To Mrs.
Howard Lewis Allen/In appreciation of your/great support/Martin Luther
King Jr." About twenty pages have ink and pencil marks in the margins
and single words or sentences underlined. Two pages have a few words
crossed out and replaced in ink. Very Good in a Near Fine dustwrapper.
(#014869)        $10,000.00

KING, Martin Luther, Jr. [Martin Luther King, Jr.]. TYPED LETTER SIGNED
(TLS) Quoting from his Book STRENGTH TO LOVE, Matted and Framed.
Atlanta, 12 August 1963. Superb letter on Southern Christian Leadership
Conference stationery dated 12 August 1963. "I want to personally thank
you for the support which you have given to our nonviolent direct action
movement to eliminate the immoral and shameful practice of racial
discrimination and segregation from American life. I am particularly
pleased that as part of your contribution to our work you have acquired
a copy of my latest book STRENGTH TO LOVE. In the preface of this book I
said: 'In these turbulent days of uncertainty, the evils of war and of
economic and racial injustice threaten the very survival of the human
race.' These words are even more relevant to this current phase of the
civil rights revolution than it was when the preface was printed. It has
always been a source of inner strength to me and those of my associates
in the Southern Christian Leadership Conference to be able to meet and
overcome many of the indignities and humiliations of segregation in
America with unswerving faith in the American dream of freedom for all
men. I believe it can be said that the Strength To Love in the midst of
adversities is one of the most significant features of the nonviolent
direct action movement in our country today." SIGNED "Martin L. King,
Jr." Matted in deep blue and maroon with a casual photograph of King
standing at his desk with a photo of Gandhi behind him. In an antique
carved gilt frame 21-1/2" wide by 17" high. Near Fine and handsomely
presented. (#014873)        $15,000.00

KING, Martin Luther, Jr. [Martin Luther King, Jr.]. STRENGTH TO LOVE
Inscribed to a Neighbor and Babysitter for his Children. New York:
Harper & Row, (1963). First Edition. King's second book and first
collection of his sermons. INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the author on the
front free endpaper: "To my friend/Rachel Ward/With Best wishes/and warm
Personal Regards/Martin." Rachel Ward is mentioned by Dexter Scott King,
son of Martin Luther King, Jr., in his book GROWING UP KING: AN INTIMATE
MEMOIR when he describes his home life in 1967: "The kitchen is beyond
the dining room. There my mother or the ladies who helped her, Mrs.
Dorothy Lockhart or Mrs. Newman or sometimes Mrs. Rachel Ward, caused a
racket of pots and pans. Mrs. Ward and Mrs. Patricia Cook Latimore
sometimes looked after us when Mom and Dad had to do important
business." Dexter was seven years old when his father was killed in
1968. Genuinely signed books by King are hard to come by; those with
such a fine association as this are rarely encountered. Very Good in a
bright, Near Fine dustwrapper with mild wear. (#012978)        $20,000.00

--
All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.  Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost.  Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express, and Discover accepted.  Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given.  Please insure returns for their full value.  We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Signed Books, Presidential Autographs, Illustrated Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books.  We are celebrating our 24th year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.  Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com