[Rarebooks] FS: TWAIN'S SLAVE NARRATIVE IN "THE ATLANTIC MONTHLY"

Norman Kane nkane at kanebooks.com
Wed Jan 25 21:42:32 EST 2012

CLEMENS, SAML. L., ("MARK TWAIN"].
A TRUE STORY REPEATED WORD FOR WORD AS I HEARD IT, (IN THE ATLANTIC MONTHLY, NOV., 1874].
November, 1874.  First printing of this story of slave life and a slave sale as told by an elderly black woman.  Original printed wrappers, bottom 2 inches of spine worn, merchant's stamp on cover, otherwise very good.   Other contributors to this issue were Henry James, Chas. Warren Stoddard, Whittier, Howells, Robt. Dale Owen ("How I came to study spiritual phenomena"), Eggleston & Holmes.   This was Twain's first article for the "Atlantic," which was edited by his friend Howells. (Twain’s attitude toward Blacks and Slavery has always been a matter of interest.)  RARE.            $250.00

10% trade discount.  Postpaid.

THE AMERICANIST
(NORMAN KANE-ABAA EMERITUS)
113 CREEK'S EDGE, CHAPEL HILL, NC
27516 PH: 919 967 9287 FAX - 919 338 8081
nkane at kanebooks.com