[Rarebooks] FS: The Spanish Soldier in Colonial America

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Wed Jun 13 10:17:03 EDT 2012

TITLE: “The Leather Jacket Soldier. Spanish Military Equipment and
Institutions of the late 18th Century”

By Odie B. Faulk.
Published in Pasadena by Socio-Technical Publications in 1971.

DISCUSSION: The life, equipment and ways of that most forgotten American
pioneer- the Spanish Colonial soldier. “The soldado de cuera was a curious
misxture- part medieval knight in leather armor with antiquated weapons;
part empire builder trying to bring an alien people under Spanish
subjugation; part farmer, trying to cultivate a few acres of farmland to
feed his family; part impediment to Christianity, with a tendency to
unchristian living that made the task of the missionary so difficult;. But
principally the leather-jacket soldier was a man, trying to survive under
a brutal military system that saw him robbed of much of his pay and
subject to the whims of authoritarian officers; attempting to raise a
family on a pitiful salary; hoping to stay alive on a bloody frontier.”

CONDITION NOTES: Minor light foxing, minor wear, but otherwise clean and
nice, with a tight binding.

PIRCE: $100.00

SOME PICTURES =>

<http://www.joslinhall.com/images370/th-37283-cover.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images370/th-37283-page1.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images370/th-37283-page2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images370/th-37283-page3.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images370/th-37283-page4.jpg>

 - -

Our WEBSITE-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our BLOG-
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

On TWITTER-
<https://twitter.com/joslinhall>

Our EMAIL LIST-

Our LATEST CATALOG-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_current.htm>

 ~ ~ ~

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.