[Rarebooks] The auction scene

Norman Kane nkane at kanebooks.com
Sat Jun 23 11:59:31 EDT 2012

The New England auction of a few weeks ago contained the usual mixture, but one thing that intrigued me which was imbedded in an otherwise dull lot was a pamphlet by Tom Paine in which numerous passages critical of the King and the government of England were left blank in the text, and had been neatly inked in by a contemporary hand.  No mention of this in OCLC or ESTC, but it is mentioned in one of the several copies listed in the APS catalog of Col. Gimbel’s Paine collection. Simply overlooked by bibliographers ? Or is it a rarity ?? The recent Freeman sale had a Rube Goldberg lot which included a mint  Goldberg boxed card game. Find another ! (That should go on the curio shelf.) Coming up tomorrow is a sale at National Book Auctions in Utica, which, in addition to geology lots which I skip right over, has a large number of ephemera and illustrated items – Southern, Afro-American, Currier & Ives, &c,   Maybe I’ll sharpen my pencil.   Norman

THE AMERICANIST
(NORMAN KANE-ABAA EMERITUS)
113 CREEK'S EDGE, CHAPEL HILL, NC
27516 PH: 919 967 9287 FAX - 919 338 8081
nkane at kanebooks.com
libri sono la nostra gioia e la nostra salute