[Rarebooks] FS: Sidney Sime Autograph Letters

Michael John Thompson mjt at mjtbooks.com
Fri Mar 16 16:12:41 EDT 2012

SIME, Sidney [1867-1941, English artist, mostly
remembered for his fantastic and satirical
artwork, especially his story illustrations for Irish author Lord Dunsany].

1) AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED. Autograph letter from
Sime,  9" high x 7" wide, addressed "Dear Desmond
Coke", dated Nov. 13, '28. "I have re-read your
confession. It is your portrait, better than
life-like. What you say about myself is only of
import as placing me in such excellent company.
..I am lukewarm to silhouettes; although I have
seen some Burmese Shadow pictures that  had
uncanny provokingness
" 18 lines in ink, signed
"Sidney H. Sime". Folded in the center and very
lightly folded in half, very good. $350.00

2) AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED. Autograph letter from
Sime, dated July 16, 1918. One leaf, 10" high x
7.5" wide, 31 hand written lines on both sides of
the paper. Commences: "Know, O man of exalted
rank, That I am here at this present. But a gang
of Paleolithic Hydro-cephalic Quacks have
overhauled & overmauled me and certified me to
the sleuthhounds of War as a sufficient Germicide
& Brock-basher - in spite of my advanced age and
multiple infirmities : so being grade II, where I
may presently be, is on the granite knees of
those who plot against man.... So the exhibition
I was drifting towards making of myself is also
on aforesaid Granite knees. Many works of dubious
import lie about my studio but I have only learnt
the everlasting continuity of art and that the
picture refuses to evolve. Is it that art is
really a poaching on the preserves of the
Creator, and the poacher always gets it in the
neck? But there's the sport. I will write you
anon O Captain of Hosts, and unfold the
event...." Signed in full "Yours sincerely Sidney
H. Sime.  Unaddressed, but the recipient is
likely to be Desmond Coke as well. Residue of
newsprint on blank lower half, folded in quarters, a nice example. $400.00

---
Michael John Thompson, Antiquarian Bookseller
'Imladris'
5275 Jerow Road
Hornby Island, BC
Canada V0R 1Z0