[Rarebooks] FS: Fine Rudyard Kipling Letter to Alexander Gibb on Telford and civil engineering

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Mon Mar 26 10:24:16 EDT 2012

KIPLING, Rudyard. AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS). Burwash, Sussex, 21
Dec. 1935. Superb handwritten two-page letter on both sides of Kipling's
(5-1/4" x 8") Bateman's Burwash Sussex stationery, @250 words, to Sir
Alexander [Gibb] dated 21 December 1935 regarding Gibb's book THE STORY
OF TELFORD: THE RISE OF CIVIL ENGINEERING published the same year and
dedicated "To Rudyard Kipling the Poet of Empire and Engineering."
Kipling begins by commenting on the binding of Gibb's book that Gibb has
sent to him: "'Crushed Levant' is not a dress that I am much used to but
it is a fitting one for your 'Story of Telford' which has just come in.
Instead of going on with my desk-work I've been skimming through it. It
is the certainty of his character that impresses me. He seemed to be one
of the few men who knew the strength of their own materials.... The
other thing that sticks out is the marvel that, with appliances which,
by present standards, were not much more than the shovel and the bare
hand, he set down to face and overcome enormous physical difficulties,
and to handle dirt as freely as though he had every sort of mechanical
aid in existence. No wonder he was intolerant of inefficiency.... I
haven't found out any reference to his applications as a 'speculative'
Mason which I suppose he was: but I propose going over the book,
luxuriously, this evening and enjoying myself as its dedicatee--of which
I am extremely proud." This important letter is cited by Godfrey
Harrison in his ALEXANDER GIBB: THE STORY OF AN ENGINEER on page 212. A
rare Kipling letter with outstanding content. Normal creases from
folding. About Fine. (#010185)        $3,500.00

See an image here:

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/010185.jpg

--
All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.  Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost.  Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express, and Discover accepted.  Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given.  Please insure returns for their full value.  We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Signed Books, Presidential Autographs, Illustrated Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books.  We are celebrating our 24th year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.  Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com