[Rarebooks] FS: Eugene O'Neill INSCRIBED to Elizabeth Shepley Sergeant

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Fri May 18 08:19:40 EDT 2012

One of several SIGNED Eugene O'Neill books in our new catalog recently
posted on our home page--SPRING MISCELLANY 2012 catalog with 70 select
books and autographs, all new arrivals:
http://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/catalogues.html?id=J5Y9M2kL&mv_pc=1881

O'NEILL, Eugene. PLAYS: BEYOND THE HORIZON. THE STRAW. BEFORE BREAKFAST.
New York: Boni and Liveright, 1925. First Edition. INSCRIBED and SIGNED
by the author on the front endpaper: "To/Elizabeth Shepley
Sergeant--/Eugene O'Neill." Spine dull but readable with light wear to
the tips. Very Good, lacking the dustwrapper.

Elizabeth Shepley Sergeant published her first article in 1910 in
McCLURE'S MAGAZINE where she met Willa Cather, who was working as an
editor there. Sergeant became one of the original contributors to THE
NEW REPUBLIC and was sent by the magazine to Paris in 1917 to cover the
war. Her own experience of being seriously wounded by a grenade was the
basis for her book, SHADOW-SHAPES: THE JOURNAL OF A WOUNDED WOMAN
(1920). Upon her return to the United States and on her doctor's advice,
she moved to Taos, New Mexico, where she wrote about the Pueblo Indians
and New Mexico until moving to New York in the mid-1930s. She authored
several books and many biographical profiles of writers and other
important American figures (#016405)        $1,500.00

--
All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.  Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost.  Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express, and Discover accepted.  Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given.  Please insure returns for their full value.  We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Signed Books, Presidential Autographs, Illustrated Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books.  We are celebrating our 24th year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.  Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com