[Rarebooks] FS: One of the first American novels to allude to lesbian relationships: Henry James: THE BOSTONIANS, 1886

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Wed May 30 12:29:27 EDT 2012

One of many fine items, including several interesting Henry James
titles, in our new catalog recently posted on our home page--SPRING
MISCELLANY 2012 catalog with 70 select books and autographs, all new
arrivals:
http://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/catalogues.html?id=J5Y9M2kL&mv_pc=1881

JAMES, Henry. THE BOSTONIANS. A Novel. In Three Volumes. London:
Macmillan and Co, 1886. First Edition. Three volumes bound in early but
not original plain blue-green cloth lettered in gilt on the spines with
no publisher's device; all half-titles present, 2 pages of publisher's
advertisements at the end of volume 2 (The four pages of ads at the end
of volume 3 mentioned by BAL are not present). A possible remainder
binding though it differs from the example sold as lot 76 in THE
COSMATOS COLLECTION by Sotheby's in 2005. BAL 10575. Edel A28a. Only 500
copies were published with another 100 copies printed a month later,
apparently indistinguishable. BAL notes that there may be a point to
distinguish the two printings: the running head on page 31 in the first
volume. In our copy the chapter number is incorrect. Since usually later
printings correct errors in earlier printings, this is an argument in
favor of the incorrect chapter number indicating the earlier printing,
but this is not conclusive. "In The Bostonians Henry James wrote the
most considerable American novel of its decade. For all its oppressive
detail, there is no other novel of such value and distinction to place
on the bookshelf of the late nineteenth century" (Leon Edel, Henry
James: THE MIDDLE YEARS, 1963, page 74). This controversial novel of the
feminist movement, one of the first American novels to allude to lesbian
relationships, was adapted to the screen in 1984 by James Ivory and
starred Christopher Reeve as Basil Ransome and Vanessa Redgrave as Olive
Chancellor. Small bookplate of author Maurice Baring on the front
pastedown of each volume and an odd bookplate with the initials "DMZ" on
the front endpaper of each volume. Light occasional foxing. Front hinge
of the first volume cracked before the half-title page, others secure.
Cloth splitting or beginning to split at the joint on nearly every cover
though all covers are still tight. Very Good and scarce.

"I wished to write a very American tale, a tale very characteristic of
our social conditions, and I asked myself what was the most salient and
peculiar point in our social life. The answer was: the situation of
women, the decline of sentiment of sex, the agitation in their behalf."
--Henry James, on THE BOSTONIANS (#016442)        $2,500.00

See an image here:

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/016442.jpeg
--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $15.00. Overseas postage billed at

info at charlesagvent.com