[Rarebooks] FS: Only Known Example of the Poster Advertising Charles Bukowski's First Poetry Reading

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Wed Nov 14 10:47:53 EST 2012

 From our new Charles Bukowski catalog containing 87 items from the
collection of Jamie Boran, assembled over a period of approximately 25
years.  Included are a number of truly scarce pieces and scores of
periodical appearances.  All of the items are accompanied by images on
our web site, where you can securely order, either by searching for
Bukowski or using the link below.

http://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/catalogues.html

(BUKOWSKI, Charles). Handmade POSTER for Bukowski's First Known Poetry
Reading. [Los Angeles], [1969]. First Edition. A hand-lettered poster
@11" x 11" in black, red, and green inks for Bukowski's first known
public readings at The Bridge bookstore, Los Angeles, on December 19 and
20, 1969. The text reads: "Charles Bukowski will give his first public
demolition poetry reading at the Bridge," along with the address and
dates. Accompanied by a handwritten letter dated 1994 from Bukowski's
bibliographer, Sanford Durbin, describing in detail how acquired the
poster at the time. In part: "At intermission I went out in the alley to
pee; as I walked back in I saw someone peeing under a light; it was
Hank. He looked at me & said kinda wimpy, 'Hi Neeli.' -- How many were
there -- the Bridge, N. Kenmore? Maybe 50? A bar? a night spot? -- Maybe
the sign was in front, maybe I saw it walking from the Bridge back to
his place. On a utility pole. Sure I want it, down it came." Tears along
edges, jagged, but without loss of any words. Very Good and an
exceptional artifact from Bukowski's career, the only known example.
(#016718)        $4,500.00

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/016718.JPG

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com