[Rarebooks] fa: FORCE MILITAIRE & FORCE COMMERCIALE DE LA GRANDE-BRETAGNE 1820-24 (4 Parts in 2 vols.)

Ardwight Chamberlain ardchamber at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 5 09:32:26 EDT 2012

Listed now, along with other 17th, 18th, & 19th-century titles, auctions ending Sunday, October 7. More details and images can be found at the URL below or by searching under the seller name arch_in_la.

http://tinyurl.com/8d298wt

Thanks,
Ardwight Chamberlain
L.A.

Charles Dupin: Voyages dans la Grande-Bretagne, enterpris relativement aux services publiques : De la guerre, de la marine, et des ponts et chausées, depuis 1816. Première partie [tomes I & II]. Force Militaire. [and] Troisième Partie [tomes V & VI]. Force Commerciale. Paris: Bachelier [etc.], 1820, 1824. FIRST EDITIONS. Two volumes, 4to (26.5 x 21 cm), in period calf and marbled boards; 280, 274 pp.; 290, 288 pp.

Two volumes, each containing two parts and complete in itself, of Dupin's monumental examination of British military and commercial capacity. Not present here are the two parts on the British navy (Force Navale) and the atlas volume of plates. The first volume contains the whole of his study of the British army: Force Militaire de la Grande-Bretagne. Tome I: Constitution de l'armée. Tome II: Études et travaux. The second volume contains his study of British industry and public works (roads, highways, bridges, canals, ports, shipping, etc.): Force Commerciale de la Grande-Bretagne. Tome I: Voies publiques, places, rues, routes, canaux, ponts et chausées. Tome II: Côtes et ports maritimes. Each part has a separate general title-page and sectional title-page. Pierre-Charles-François Dupin (1784-1873) was a brilliant and energetic mathematician (discoverer of the "Dupin indicatrix"), engineer, statistician, political economist and social reformer. His Voyages dans la Grande-Bretagne, while offending many for its liberal, reformist views, earned him a place in the Légion d'honneur, and he was made a baron by Louis XVIII in 1824...