[Rarebooks] FS: First BLACK MAN IN THE WHITE HOUSE with Letters from Eisenhower, Nixon, Johnson, Kennedy, Rockefeller, and Lindsay

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Fri Sep 7 10:04:33 EDT 2012

MORROW, E. Frederic. [EISENHOWER, Dwight; NIXON, Richard; JOHNSON,
Lyndon; KENNEDY, Robert; ROCKEFELLER, Nelson]. BLACK MAN IN THE WHITE
HOUSE with Letters to the Author from Eisenhower, Nixon, Johnson,
Kennedy, Rockefeller, and Lindsay. New York: Coward-McCann, (1963).
First Edition. Superb archive of material related to the first African
American to serve as a policy-making aide in the White House. Morrow
served as Officer for Special Projects in the Eisenhower administration
from 1955-1961. Includes a Review Copy of Morrow's book BLACK MAN IN THE
WHITE HOUSE which details his actions and thoughts while serving during
the turbulent birth of the Civil Rights Movement as well as a copy of
the official WHITE HOUSE STAFF BOOK 1953-61 (copy #68 of a small
unstated limited edition), and a group of letters: one TYPED LETTER
SIGNED (TLS) from Mamie Eisenhower; five TLSs from Dwight Eisenhower on
White House stationery, three SIGNED with initials, and two
post-Presidential TLSs; two TLSs from Robert Kennedy, one framed and the
other an autopen signature; two TLSs from Richard Nixon, one dated
August 1968 and stating "This year we are going to win" and the other on
White House stationery SIGNED with initials; and two fine framed TLSs
from Lyndon Johnson on White House stationery, each with references to
the Civil Rights movement: 24 March 1965 (three days after the
Montgomery march)--"Your own service here in this House meant much to
the cause for which we work now ... and I assure you our efforts will
continue without ceasing, until justice prevails"--and 11 June 1965--"At
the core of the American creed is the sense of fairness and a passion
for justice." There are also letters from Rose Mary Woods, Nelson
Rockefeller, and John Lindsay. Wonderful archive. Book in Good
condition; letters Near Fine. (#014695)        $7,500.00

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/014695.JPG

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/014695a.JPG

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/014695b.JPG

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/014695c.JPG

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/014695d.JPG

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $20.00. Overseas postage billed at

info at charlesagvent.com