[Rarebooks] FS: Signed Knut Hamsun

Allington Books allingtonbooks at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 15:29:30 EDT 2012

*Offered*: *: Rare Signed copy of Hunger* *by Knut Hamsun

Hamsun, Knut* [Pedersen, Knut]. *Hunger* [Sult] [*Signed* / Landstrykere /
Signert]. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1920. Third printing. A Very Good copy
of the first American edition, third printing (some wear to the spine ends
with some splitting to the spine head, corners, and board bottoms,
wrinkling to spine, top stain faded), no dust jacket, SIGNED BY KNUT HAMSUN
on the title page.  Knut Hamsun won the 1920 Nobel Prize in Literature "for
his monumental work, Growth of the Soil" (1917) and was proclaimed by
Norway's King Haakon VII to be "Norway's Soul". His fellow Nobel
Prize-winner Isaac Bashevis Singer translated some of Hamsun's works and
called Hamsun "the father of the modern school of literature in his every
aspect—his subjectiveness, his fragmentariness, his use of flashbacks, his
lyricism. The whole modern school of fiction in the twentieth century stems
from Hamsun". Further demonstrating his importance as an author, Ernest
Hemingway stated that "Hamsun taught me to write" and Charles Bukowski
called him the greatest writer ever to have lived. Set in the 19th Century
and loosely autobiographical, "Hunger" tells the tale of an impoverished
young man with intellectual leanings who sees himself as a writer and will
not take work he considers below his abilities. The book, which sold an
unexpected number of copies and went into multiple printings in its year of
publication, provided the basis two movies, each named for the book, one
starring Swedish actor Per Oscarsson, filmed in Black and White in Oslo and
directed by Denmark's Henning Carlsen (1966), and the 2001 film written and
directed by American Director and Screenwriter Maria Giese, starring Robert
Culp (of "I Spy" and "Bob & Carol Ted & Alice" fame), Joseph Culp, and
Kathleen Luong. Early printings of Hunger in the first edition are
difficult to find. Signed copies of Hamsun's work in any language and in
any edition are rather scarce, and signed copies in English translation are
extraordinarily so. No signed copy of any of any of Hamsun's works in
English translation has appeared at auction since 1935, the earliest year
covered by applicable auction records. This copy belonged to Actor Jack
Palance and was purchased at the 2006 auction of his personal property. A
Very Good copy of Knut Hamsun's most famous work, SIGNED BY KNUT HAMSUN.
RARE. Very Good in very good dust-jacket. Hardcover. (#00003126)
$2,250.00

(*20% discount to the list* applied when we process your order --- please
advise in the Notes to your order that you are a list member.)

Here is a link to the listing:
http://www.allingtonbooks.com/shop/allington/results.html

Photographs in addition to that on our site are available on request.

*Payment due with order.*  Orders must be placed on our site at
www.allingtonbooks.com .  *Applicable sales tax will be charged for books
shipped to any address in North Carolina.*

All books are subject to prior sale and to being put on hold for a
potential Buyer's consideration.

Thank you for your consideration.

Best Wishes,

Stephen