[Rarebooks] FS: 1817 French Gardening Alamanc

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Thu Apr 4 07:11:41 EDT 2013

TITLE: "Figures pour l'Almanach du Bon Jardinier..."

By Louise Eustache Audot.
Published in Paris by the author: no date, but circa 1817.

DISCUSSION: A charming gardening manual by a prolific and popular French
horticultural author. Audot's manual, first published ca. 1813, went
through several editions and offered the serious gardener complete nuts
and bolts advice and diagrams for such advanced operations as
cross-pollination, grafting and air-layering and espaliering trees. The
plates include details of the leaves, flowers and sexual systems of
various types of fruits and flowers, as well as examples of tools,
shovels, rakes, scythes, pruners, barrows, and also several plans for
greenhouses and cold frames. The plates are delicately engraved and very
attractive.

plates; bound in the (probably) original or at least period blue boards,
quite rubbed and scuffed now, with the top portion of the spine lacking;
lacks front and rear blank endpapers, scattered offsetting from the
plates; two plates with very minor attempts at hand-coloring, a bit of
spotting and toning here and there, and some soil; very minor wormhole in
the gutter margin of several pages; small institutional stamp, but not
actually ex-institutional (the longtime customer from whom we purchased it
had given a portion of his collection to a library and this book was
mistakenly placed in the box; he discovered the mistake and the book was
returned, but not before it had been stamped).

PRICE: $350-

SOME PICTURES =>

<http://www.joslinhall.com/images354/th-35472-cover.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images354/th-35472-page1.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images354/th-35472-page2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images354/th-35472-page3.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images354/th-35472-page4.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images354/th-35472-page5.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images354/th-35472-page6.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images354/th-35472-page7.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images354/th-35472-page8.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images354/th-35472-page9.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images354/th-35472-page10.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images354/th-35472-page11.jpg>

 - -

Our WEBSITE-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our BLOG-
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

On TWITTER-
<https://twitter.com/joslinhall>

Our EMAIL LIST-

Our LATEST CATALOG-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_current.htm>

 ~ ~ ~

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.