[Rarebooks] FS: 1886 Scottish Edinburgh Exhibition Satire

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Thu Apr 11 07:15:06 EDT 2013

TITLE:  “Hotch Potch in Braid Scotch; or, An Auld Wife's Cracks about the
Edinburgh Exhibition”

Published by D.H. Edwards in 1886.

DISCUSSION: A comic journey to the 1886 Edinburgh art exhibition,
accomplished in broad, at times nearly incomprehensible, pseudo-scots
dialect. The 1886 International Exhibition of Industry, Science and Art
was the first such international art & m=manufactures fair to be held in
Scotland, though a number of similar events had by that time been held in
London and Dublin, the most famous being London's grand 1851 Crystal
Palace exhibition. Prince Albert opened the Edinburgh fair on May 6th, and
visitors were treated to an assortment of arts, technologies and household
items from Europe, America and the Near and Far East, as well as some more
locally oriented exhibits, including a National Exhibit of Scotch Malt
Whiskies. The buildings were illuminated with electric lights, which
fascinated the crowds.

This very uncommon booklet is an interesting example of 19th century
satire of these exhibitions and their visitors (or perhaps of their
critics, or maybe a bit of both)-  "There are lots o' bonnie pieces o'
sculpture distributed aboot the galleries. Some o' the women fouk
representit -I canna gie ye their names- are gie brazen-faced like
hizzies, an' no ower decent lookin'. I wad fain hae speared at Maister
Marchbank gen he had ony objections to me sendin' hame for an auld short
gown an' a wincey coat to cover their bare an' cauld-lookin' shuthers an'
hurdies, but John said 'Dinna show yer ignoranc- it's the style o' the
mason, an' the taste o' the time'".

CONDITION NOTES: Spine paper split, covers somewhat soiled, some internal
toning.

PRICE:  $125-

PICTURES of this & more books just added today =>

<http://www.joslinhall.com/newadd-today.html>

 - - -

Our WEBSITE-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our LATEST ADDITIONS-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/newadd-today.html>

Our BLOG-
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

On TWITTER-
<https://twitter.com/joslinhall>

Our EMAIL LIST-

 ~ ~ ~

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.