[Rarebooks] fa: 18th-CENTURY MS ABSTRACT of RELIGIOUS MUSINGS - LORDS SUPPER - SOAME JENYNS &c.

Ardwight Chamberlain ardchamber at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 11 09:39:18 EDT 2013

Listed now, auction ending Sunday, February 24. More details and images can be found at the URL below or by searching under the seller name arch_in_la.

http://tinyurl.com/cndkmtx

Thanks again,
Ardwight Chamberlain
L.A.

An abstract of some Directions & prayers Concerning the Lords Supper With several other things very necessary for all christians to know from the Book called, The Pious Country Parishioner & other Books. [MS title]. Small 8vo (18 cm); approximately 15 pp. of manuscript, with numerous blanks at the end; laid paper with Gerrevink watermark; stitch-bound into home-made limp card; ca. 1750s-1770s. One leaf laid in loose, possibly in a later and/or different hand; light  bumping to the edges; a vertical crease from the booklet having been folded at one time.

A modest, hand-written 18th-century collection of religious extracts and meditations, with an emphasis on self-examination: "What good have I omitted?" etc. On a secular note, there are also some "Resolutions when I have a family" (including, "to make home the most agreeable to my Children and for that purpose to grant them all reasonable Indulgences especially good company… Not to inforce but persuade…"). Other  headings/entries include: A Collect to be used morning & evening all the week before sacrament; After receiving the Sacrament; Short Heads of Examination for the evening; Observations on A View of the Internal Evidence of the Christian Religion by Soame Jenyns ("a small duodecimo about the price of 1/6 or 2 and contains the most sound doctrine"); etc.