[Rarebooks] FS: Verses on the Death of Dr. Swift, 1743 & 1992

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Fri Aug 23 11:36:22 EDT 2013

TWO EDITIONS, OLD & NEWER-

 - - -

TITLE: “Verses on the Death of Dr. Swift, D.S.P.D. occasioned by reading a
Maxim of Rochefoucault”

By Jonathan Swift.
Published in Dublin(?) in 1743.

DISCUSSION: An early printing of Swift's famous and witty pre-obituary
poem. Swift worked on the piece for several years, and in 1738 an English
printer published an edited, shortened version, which did not please
Swift. In February, 1739 the full version was published in Dublin. Our
printed copy contains the note that "many Lines and Notes were omitted in
the English edition; which we have here inserted, to make the work as
compleat as possible", suggesting to me that this is likewise possibly an
Irish edition.

In the poem Swift wittily recalls some incidents in his life, and imagines
how his friends, and enemies, will react to his death and what they will
say after he is gone-

"For Poetry, he's past his Prime,
He takes an Hour to find a Rhime;
His Fire is out, his Wit decay'd;
His Fancy sunk, his Muse a Jade,
I'd have him throw away his Pen;
But there's no talking to some Men."

Swift's poem remains as a singular, unforgettable and unique self-written
epitaph.

comprises the title page and the poem paginated pp.153-176.

CONDITION NOTES: Light soil, a little wear; string bound, with the last
several leaves detached.

PRICE:  $85 -

SOME PICTURES =>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/newadd-08-23-13.html#anchor2>

 - - - - -

TITLE: “Verses on the Death of Dr. Swift, D.S.P.D. occasioned by reading a
Maxim of Rochefoucault”

By Jonathan Swift.
Published in Market Drayton by the Tern Press in 1992.
Edition limited to 95 copies.

DISCUSSION: A beautiful fine-press edition of Swift's famous and witty
pre-obituary poem. This finely-printed edition includes notes and a
commentary by A. Norman Jeffares.

Zerkall paper with 9 lino prints. Patterned covers.

CONDITION NOTES: Minor soil, but otherwise clean and nice, with a tight
binding.

PRICE:  $125 -

SOME PICTURES =>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/newadd-08-23-13.html#anchor2>

 - - -

Our WEBSITE-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our LATEST ADDITIONS-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/newadd-today.html>

Our LATEST CATALOG-
Books on Furniture
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_343.pdf>

Our BLOG-
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

On TWITTER-
<https://twitter.com/joslinhall>

Our EMAIL LIST-

 ~ ~ ~

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.