[Rarebooks] fs: Marshall's Life of Washington, w/ atlas

Back Creek Books rock at backcreekbooks.com
Sat Aug 24 21:20:15 EDT 2013

Greetings,

Back Creek Books is pleased to offer:
~
11487 . Marshall, John (1755-1835). THE LIFE OF GEORGE WASHINGTON,
COMMANDER IN CHIEF OF THE AMERICAN FORCES, DURING THE WAR WHICH
ESTABLISHED THE INDEPENDENCE OF HIS COUNTRY, AND FIRST PRESIDENT OF THE
UNITED STATES… (COMPLETE IN 6 VOLUMES, INCLUDING ATLAS).
Philadelphia: C. P. Wayne, 1804-1807. First Edition, Three quarter
leather, octavos, folio, over 3,000 pages, Frontispiece portrait in
volume I, atlas of maps. Near Fine.
Landmark biography of Washington by an admiring contemporary statesman.
Marshall, the fourth and longest serving Chief Justice of the Supreme
Court had the cooperation of the family, particularly Bushrod
Washington, and use of Washington's records and papers in preparation of
his monumental work. All 6 volumes signed by original owner James
Milligan of Philadelphia (Milligan being listed on page 10 of the
"Subcribers to the Life of Washington" at the end of the atlas volume,
where he has corrected the printed spelling of his name). SABIN #44788;
HOWES M317. The 5 volumes of text have been expertly rebound in modern
3/4 calf bindings with marbled paper sides, gilt titles on red leather
labels on spines. Tissue-guarded frontispiece portrait of Washington in
volume I. The atlas volume is complete, with all 10 maps and the 22 page
list of subscribers. Some mild foxing throughout the set. The atlas
appears to be in original boards with a new leather spine ornamented in
gilt. Fore corners and edges of atlas boards are rubbed and worn, with
some chipping along joints where repair meets original marbled
paper....... $5000.00
- Photo(s), secure ordering:
http://www.backcreekbooks.biz/bookdetails.asp?book=11487

///*\\\*///*\\\*///*\\\*///*\\\*///*\\\*///*\\\
Terms:
All items offered subject to prior sale. Standard domestic shipping is
$5.00 for the first book, $1.25 each additional book or volume. Other
methods or international delivery quoted upon request. Payment accepted
by credit card (V,MC,Amex, Discover), check, money order, or PayPal. All
items fully guaranteed and returnable if not as described.

Thank you for your interest.

Best regards,

Rock

--
Back Creek Books LLC, ABAA/ILAB
194 Main Street, Annapolis, MD 21401, U.S.A.
Web: http://www.backcreekbooks.com  ~  Email: rock at backcreekbooks.com
On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/backcreekbooks
Join our email list: http://www.backcreekbooks.com/signup.php
--
Today's featured book from our stock at TomFolio.com:
~ Wroth, Lawrence C[ounselman]. (1884-1970), Compiler. 	'War Record of Battery A, Maryland Field Artillery.'