[Rarebooks] FS: Fine Tennessee Williams Letter: "I returned from the mad-house hungry for a tiny bit of affection"

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Wed Aug 28 11:04:50 EDT 2013

We have MANY fine TENNESSEE WILLIAMS items (letters, manuscripts, signed
books, photographs, etc.) in our inventory which can be seen at
http://www.charlesagvent.com

WILLIAMS, Tennessee. TYPED LETTER SIGNED (TLS). n.p., 16 May 1970.
SIGNED and dated as "10," his intimate signature. To Danny [Stirrup], an
old friend in Key West who had worked on Williams's house there, in
full: "I waited as long as I could for some word from you about the
erection of the Jane Bowles Summer-house which I want to sit and
meditate for a while in before I leave for my summer abroad from which I
may not return like a swallow of Capistrano. And so last night, not
having up till that point, heard any word from you, asked Fontis to put
it up with a good carpenter and a very simple little Gothic, not
Byzantine, design that we'd drawn at a bar-table. He will start on it
Monday and the top estimate is $1700. which is below the amount that an
experienced architect would or should accept but all I wish to expend on
the project as it will serve only as room for bridge-playing and for
solitary reflecting upon the madness of the world. I have not talked to
anyone but you about the cause of the interruption in our long
friendship. But now I will. It can be said very simply. I returned from
the mad-house hungry for a tiny bit of affection, tenderness, sympathy,
understanding, none of which were offered and they were as necessary to
me as the air I breathe. Then, being a tiger, I turned, for tigers will
turn on mortal adversaries at last. That's it and that's all. Forget me,
Don Quixote, if you choose to, or remember me as a loyal and patient
friend to those who are friends and I still believe you are one. The
best of luck with your important project in Palm Beach. Love, 10." Some
wrinkling and creasing, still Very Good. Superb content. (#013762)
     $2,000.00

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/013762.jpg

--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com