[Rarebooks] FS: Kircher on the effects of music on the victims of tarantula bites and much else, 1654

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Mon Dec 2 16:32:50 EST 2013

 From our newest catalog, just posted on our website:
http://www.charlesagvent.com

KIRCHER, Athanasius. ATHANASII KIRCHERI, SOCIETATIS IESU. MAGNES SIVE
ARTE MAGNETICA OPUS TRIPARTITUM. QUO UNIVERSAMAGNETIS NATURA, EIUSQUE IN
OMNIBUS SCIENTIJS & ARTIBUS USUS, NOVA METHODO EXPLICATUR, ETC. Rome: B.
Deuersin, & Z. Masotti, 1654. Third, and best, Edition. Folio (8-1/2" x
12-1/2") bound in contemporary vellum; [xxxii (including engraved
title-page)], 618, [24] pages. Title page printed in red and black with
engraved printer's device; additional engraved title page; woodcut
initials; head- and tailpieces; full-page engraved arms of the
dedicatee, Ferdinand IV; about 50 tables and several examples of musical
scores in the text; 215 woodcut illustrations; and 34 mostly full-page
engraved plates. The last, best, and most valuable edition, as well as
the first one in folio, of one of the major scientific works by the most
famous German Jesuit scholar. Kircher examines all aspects of
magnetism-from that of the earth to animals, music, and love--and
presents some daring theories such as the positive effects of music on
the victims of tarantula bites. He also describes his construction of a
magnetic clock and how it functions. Two small institutional stamps on
the title page with an early annotation. Worming to the title and first
few pages as well as the last few of the index and the binding,
extensive on a few pages; the rest of the text fine.

Ferguson I, 467; Merill 6: "This third edition of 'Magnes', the finest
and most complete of the three editions, was greatly enlarged by
Kircher. It contains many observations and experiments not in the two
previous editions"; Ronalds 267; STC 461; Wellcome III, 394; Wheeler
Gift 116a: "Celebrated work. It deals with electrics as well as
magnetics, showing great versatility and encyclopaedic knowledge. He
controverts Gilbert's theories in magnetism and those of Kepler in
astronomy." (#017302)        $7,500.00

http://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/017302.html?id=orNhq7Mp
--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each

info at charlesagvent.com