[Rarebooks] FS: Miniature French Portraits in the new Bookin'!

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Thu Dec 5 08:03:14 EST 2013

An item from our new edition of Bookin'!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Bookin-6.pdf>

Mansion. [Andre] L[eon Larue]. "Lettres sur la Miniature, par Mansion,
eleve d'Isabey"
 Paris; Chez Louis Janet, Libraire: 1823.

Originally published in London by Ackermann in the same year. The folding
frontispiece is an attractive, hand-tinted palette of 12 colors for flesh
tones and shadows. André Léon Larue [1785-1870], known as "Mansion", was a
French painter of portrait miniatures and later a noted colorist of early
photographic portraits. The Encyclopedia of 19th Century Photography
notes- "Mansion was the son of Jacques Larue, a portrait painter. Critics
were very impressed with Mansion's skill, and in The Art Union, 1845, June
1st, it was written that- 'no human had ever obtained such brilliant
effects.' Mansion had his own technique of colouring plates, using a
palette made up of fifteen colours which he had learned as a miniaturist."
In addition to this book on painting miniatures he wrote an instructional
book for photographic colorists. Uncommon.

Softcover. 4.5"x7", 244 pages, folding hand-colored frontispiece.

Publisher's original printed paper covers, covers with some slight
chipping, a little toning and spotting throughout, page tips and fore-edge
a bit browned, spine paper chipped and cracked. Still, an attractive copy
in the publisher's original paper covers. [38369] $275

Pictures?
Sure, of this and more, in the new Bookin'!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Bookin-6.pdf>

Our WEBSITE-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our EMAIL LIST
  is used to notify you of new catalogs and specials-

Our LATEST ADDITIONS-
  <http://www.joslinhall.com/newadd-today.html>

Our LATEST CATALOG-
  <http://www.joslinhall.com/Bookin-6.pdf>

Our BLOG-
  <http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

 ~ ~ ~

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25% state sales tax.