[Rarebooks] FS: 1864 Bunker Hill Monument Booklet in the new Bookin'!

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Thu Dec 19 08:17:54 EST 2013

An item from our new edition of Bookin'!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Bookin-7.pdf>

"The Stranger's Guide: or Explanations of the Locations, Objects, etc. as
seen from the Bunker Hill Monument" (cover title: Bunker Hill Guide. For
the use of Strangers visiting the Monument.)

Charlestown; printed for J.B. Goodnow: 1864.

A handy guide which was first published at least as early as 1848. The
text begins with descriptions of the views to the East, South, West, and
North, then describes the Battle of Bunker Hill, the construction of the
monument, and the inscription on the monument.

The Bunker Hill Monument was built to commemorate the Battle of Bunker
Hill (you might already have guessed that). It stands 221 feet high and
was made from granite quarried in nearby Quincy, with construction taking
from 1827 to 1843. It is, somewhat famously, not actually on Bunker Hill,
but on nearby Breed's Hill, but that's ok, because the Battle of Bunker
Hill mostly took place on Breed's Hill as well. Although the Monument
Association had originally purchased most of the battlefield site, by 1838
fundraising was lagging and they were forced to sell off everything for
house lots except the hill's summit in order to pay for the monument's
completion.

Softcover. 3.5"x4.75", 15 pages. Some wear and soil. [39875] $125

Pictures?
Sure, of this and more, in the new Bookin'!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Bookin-7.pdf>

Our WEBSITE-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our EMAIL LIST
  is used to notify you of new catalogs and specials-

Our LATEST ADDITIONS-
  <http://www.joslinhall.com/newadd-today.html>

Our LATEST CATALOG-
  <http://www.joslinhall.com/Bookin-7.pdf>

Our BLOG-
  <http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

 ~ ~ ~

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25% state sales tax.