[Rarebooks] FS: 1920s Rockport Art Asc. Founder Hand-Made Easter Card

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Tue Feb 5 07:43:24 EST 2013

Hand-made Easter Greeting Card for Alice Lawton by Charles R. Knapp.

Rockport, Massachusetts- 1920s or 1930s.

DISCUSSION: A charming hand-drawn Easter card from a founder of the
Rockport Art Association to the Art Editor of the Boston Post. The card
features an eastern European woman in traditional dress holding a candle
and a basket of decorated eggs. The cover reads- “Happy Easter – To Miss
Alice Lawton”. The interior is hand-lettered- “The Slovak girl from
Podkarpatska Rue – in Czechoslovakia and – Chas. R. Knapp – wish you a
most – Happy Easter”. The word Podkarpatska is mis-spelled in ink, and
carefully corrected in pencil.

Alice Lawton was the Art Editor of the Boston post newspaper, and once
wrote- “Observations during some dozen years punctuated by frequent visits
to Rockport not only in summer but throughout all seasons have established
firmly in my mind the fact that Rockport is a self-contained, miniature
art world. One finds there artists of all degrees of talent, ability,
style, and school, many of them permanent residents and many more loyal
Rockporters by adoption for a portion of the year”.

Cooley’s Rockport Sketchbook notes- “Charles R. Knapp arrived in Rockport
from Gloucester at about the time the guns were starting World War I far
from Sandy Bay. He found kindred spirits in Margenson, Perkins, Cady and
Stevens. “We had wonderful times together,” he reminisced in his Mills
Lane apartment. “There were only a few of us, and we had this beauty all
to ourselves”. Knapp recalled that before 1920 he urged Aldro T. Hibbard
to leave Provincetown for Rockport. When Hibbard argued that the Cape Cod
town had crooked streets just made for painting, Knapp countered with,
“Well, there are crooked streets here, too. Better come”. Knapp, born in
Czechoslovakia while his American mother and English father –an oil
company salesman- were traveling, became one of the early officers of the
Rockport Art Association and was an incorporator of the organization.
Later he spent several years on Moravia executing a commission to paint
the St. Anthony festival. Returning to Rockport, he steeled into the local
scene and as an active worker for the R.A.A. for many years. He and his
big cat Tinker Bell were inseparable companions”.

CONDITION NOTES: Minor wear, light soil.

PRICE: $125. -

SOME PICTURES =>

<http://www.joslinhall.com/images379/th-38116-cover.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images379/th-38116-cover2.jpg>

 - -

Our WEBSITE-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our BLOG-
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

On TWITTER-
<https://twitter.com/joslinhall>

Our EMAIL LIST-

Our LATEST CATALOG-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_current.htm>

 ~ ~ ~

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.