[Rarebooks] FS: 1845 American Sexton's Monitor -Dorchester Cemetery

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Fri Feb 15 11:33:08 EST 2013

TITLE: “The Sexton’s Monitor, and Dorchester Cemetery Memorial”

By Daniel Davenport.
Published in Boston; Printed by Alfred Mudge in 1845. 3rd edition.

DISCUSSION: The author began work as Sexton at Dorchester Cemetery on
April 1, 1799, and as of this writing had attended 1,279 burials in 37
years there. The cemetery was one of the oldest in Massachusetts, being in
use since at least 1630.

Davenport notes- “My profession as Sexton has made me familiar with the
Burying Ground; and I observed very ancient inscriptions on Monuments and
Grave Stones, which were becoming illegible from the mouldering effects of
time. Being desirous that they should be preserved, I have copied them,
together with some which I thought curious and interesting; and, that
others might have the perusal of them, I have for a long time proposed to
have them printed. I have arranged them nearly in the order of their
dates; and have added some from Grave Yards which I have visited in other
places”.

Very uncommon.

CONDITION NOTES: Soil and wear to the covers (please see the photos, above
and below), light water stain, rear cover chipped, several small
institutional marks.

PRICE: $150. -

SOME PICTURES =>

<http://www.joslinhall.com/images379/th-38112-cover.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images379/th-38112-cover2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images379/th-38112-page1.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images379/th-38112-page2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images379/th-38112-page3.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images379/th-38112-page4.jpg>

 - -

Our WEBSITE-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our BLOG-
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

On TWITTER-
<https://twitter.com/joslinhall>

Our EMAIL LIST-

Our LATEST CATALOG-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_current.htm>

 ~ ~ ~

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.