[Rarebooks] Life of George Washington. Two volumes in leather bindings. 1826 edition. From John Doukas Collection

Karen Cinquemani books at hasbeanebooks.com
Sat Feb 23 17:35:28 EST 2013

Greetings.

A day late for George Washington's birthday! Still, we are pleased to
offer Aaron Bancroft's Life, which has the often missing frontispiece
"The Surrender of Cornwallis" in Vol 2.  I've compared it to Alexander
Anderson's original, which can be seen at the New York Public Library
website, and believe this to be either a bad forgery or printed from a
very worn block.

Pictures may be seen here:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/124105705/the-life-of-george-washington-by-aaron

Thanks for looking.
Kind regards,  Karen Cinquemani

The Life of George Washington, Commander in Chief of the American
Army, Through the Revolutionary War; and the First President of the
United States. In Two Volumes By Aaron Bancroft, D.D. Pastor of a
Congregational Church in Worcester. Stereotyped by T.H. Carter & Co.
Boston Boston: Published by T. Bedlington, no. 31, Washington-Street,
1826. Second edition. The first edition was published under the title:
An essay on the Life of George Washington in Worcester Mass. in 1807

Vicesimo-quarto 24mo.(5 7/8" x 3 5/8"). Vol. 1:[2] leaves of plates,
iv, 223 pages., Vol. 2: [2] leaves of plates, vi, 218 pages. The
frontispiece of vol. 1 is a "stipple" engraving of George Washington,
signed "D.C. Johnston, sc." David Claypoole Johnston (1799-1865)
Engraved frontispiece of vol. 2 is entitled "The Surrender of
Cornwallis" and unsigned (possibly copied from the work of Alexander
Anderson, called the First Illustrator of America, whose engraving
"Surrender of Lord Cornwallis" was included in Mason Locke Weems' The
Life of George Washington published by Joseph Allen in the same year,
1826. see Pomeroy 1072 a.6.) Extra engraved title page in each volume.
All title pages dated 1826.

Full black morocco leather period bindings. Blind-stamped front and
rear boards (double stamped and askew on Vol I. askew on Vol.II).
Bright gilt titles, rules and decorations on spines.

Very good set. Light crazing of leather on spine with a few dings and
wear at edges. External hinge crack along one inch of upper edge front
board. Contents are moderately foxed and paper is age-toned. Complete
and always legible. There is a bit of pink yarn (shown in picture)
used as a bookmark which we have left in place. Small stamp of book
collector John A. Doukas on rear paste down of both volumes

Nice, very collectible little two volume set of Dr. Bancroft's early
and important biography of George Washington.

$185 ppd. in U.S. At cost elsewhere. Reciprocal trade.

--
H.A.S. Beane Books
Firehouse Plaza
books at hasbeanebooks.com