[Rarebooks] FS: Two Highlights of 20th C. Literature

Clare Murphy payson at oldbooks.com
Mon Jan 28 09:24:32 EST 2013

Photos available upon request.

1.  CATHER, WILLA. S.  O PIONEERS ! SIGNED COPY. Boston: Houghton
Mifflin Company, 1913. Illustrated by Clarence F. Underwood. First
issue of first edition. Yellowish tan cloth. Signed by Willa Cather
in initials on first free end paper. Also her address, "Red Cloud,
Nebraska. June 1913". 308 pgs Very good/Lacks jacket. Dedicated to
the memory of Sarah Orne Jewett, Cather's friend and mentor. All
issue points present. "Chince-bugs" on page 60. Period touching the O
at bottom of spine. Light wear to edges. Indentation in spine cloth.
Contents clean and free from foxing. Willa Cather (1873-1947) was
born December 7, 1873, in Black Creek Valley (Gore) Virginia, where
she remained until the age of nine when she moved with her family to
Webster County, Nebraska. Having passed her earliest years amid a
settled landscape and established traditions, Cather compared coming
to Nebraska to being "thrown onto a land as bare as a piece of sheet
iron" (1913; Willa Cather in Person, ed. L. Brent Bohlke, 10). She
later reflected that two experiences of that move shaped her within:
being gripped with a passion for that "shaggy grass country" that was
"the happiness and the curse of my life" (1921: WCIP, 32), and
visiting immigrant neighbors, particularly the old women who told her
stories of the home country. After eighteen months on a ranch, her
family moved into Red Cloud, a "scrappy western town" rich with
possibility for a child with an eager mind (see "Old Mrs. Harris").
Cather remained there until in 1890, she entered the University of
Nebraska as a second year preparatory student. Her earliest published
fiction dates from this time, offering grim stories of immigrant
loneliness in a new country; as important, while a student she began
her journalistic career, working as a drama critic for the Lincoln
Journal.Following her graduation in 1895, Cather moved to
Pittsburgh, where she worked in journalism, taught high school, took
the first of many trips to Europe, and in 1905 published "The Troll
Garden," her earliest collection of short stories. In 1906 she
moved to New York, to work as editor, then managing editor of
"McClure's Magazine." While on assignment for "McClure's," Cather met
Sarah Orne Jewett, who understood her aspirations in art and
encouraged her to withdraw from journalism and "to find your own
quiet center of life, and write from that to the world" (1908).
Cather's first novels (there were two, she said), followed: the
Jamesian "Alexander's Bridge" -- and then "O Pioneers!". In a copy
for a friend, Cather wrote of "O Pioneers!", "This was the first time
I walked off on my own feet -- everything before was half real and
half an imitation of writers whom I admired. In this one I hit the
home pasture.  $1300.00

2.  GREENE, GRAHAM.  THE POWER AND THE GLORY. Heinemann, 1940. First
issue of first edition. Original green cloth. Very good/Very good.
Previous owner's bookplate to front pastedown. "First published 1940"
on copyright page. Dust jacket states "Second issue" and is
unclipped.  $1400.00

--

Clare Murphy
Payson Hall Books

(617) 924-8484

payson at oldbooks.com

accept checks, money orders, and PayPal. Books may be reserved
pending payment; Institutions may be billed; Standard courtesies to
institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $6.00 for
the first book, and $3.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside
the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified
within seven days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full
instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state
sales tax.