[Rarebooks] fa: WILLIAM HUSKISSON & GEORGE CANNING on THE SILK TRADE - 1826

Ardwight Chamberlain ardchamber at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 12 11:04:18 EDT 2013

Listed now, auction ending MONDAY, June 17. More details and images can be found at the URL below or by searching under the seller name arch_in_la.

http://tinyurl.com/ke7qazy

Thanks,
Ardwight Chamberlain
L.A.

Speeches in the House of Commons, on Friday, the 24th of February, 1826, of Mr. John Williams, Member for Lincoln; of the Right Hon. Wm. Huskisson, President of the Board of Trade; and of the Right Hon. George Canning, Secretary for Foreign Affairs; on the Motion, that a Select Committee be Appointed to Consider of the Petition presented from Persons Connected with the Silk Trade. London: John Hatchard and Son, 1826. FIRST SEPARATE EDITION. Pamphlet-sized 8vo; 100 pp. Kress C.1817. Goldsmiths 24937.

Parliamentary speeches delivered in the aftermath of the disastrous collapse of the silk trade. Huskisson and Canning were two of the Tory party's leading authorities on trade and political economics. Disbound from a nonce volume with remnants of earlier binding on the spine; some creasing and edge-wear to the title-page with the small deaccession stamp of the International Institute of Social History [Amsterdam] on the verso ("Verwijderd Uit Bibl. I.I.S.G."); edges a bit bumped and toned, a few small traces of soiling; otherwise clean and sound.