[Rarebooks] FS: Important edition of Aelianus edited by Gronovius. Leyden: 1731

karmbooks at aol.com karmbooks at aol.com
Fri Jun 14 12:14:46 EDT 2013

Aelianus, Claudius. ...VARIA HISTORIA [Title in Greek & Latin] cum Notis Integris Conradi Gesneri, Johannis Schefferi, Tanquilli Fabri, Joachimi Kuhnii, Jacobi Perizonii. & Interpretatione Latina Justi Vulteji, Innumeris in Locis Emendata. Curante Abrahamo Gronovio... Leyden: S. Luchtmans et al. 1731. 4to. 2 vols. in 1. (92),640,;(2),(641)-1056,(158)pp. With the half-title. Index. Double column text in Greek & Latin. Titles printed in red & black with a woodcut device. Added copper engraved title with 15 vignettes. Cont. vellum, gilt paneling with gilt embossed central ornament on both covers. Vellum soiled, front hinge cracked but cords holding, leather spine label mostly chipped away. Old library bookplate on front pastedown and small rubber stamp on title page. First title page lightly soiled.	$500.00 (trade discount allowed)
First edition edited by Gronovius of this collection of anecdotes and biographical sketches of famous Greek philosophers and writers. "An admirable edition; embracing all the notes of the preceding editors, and accompanied by the learned remarks of Gronovius himself." Dibdin. (4th ed., I p. 231). Brunet I 62. Graesse I 24.

Kenneth Karmiole, Bookseller, Inc.
P.O. Box 464
Santa Monica, CA 90406
Tel. (310) 451-4342; Fax. (310) 458-5930
Email: karmbooks at aol.com