[Rarebooks] FS - Early chess book

GREENFIELD BOOKS mail at greenfieldbooks.com
Thu Jun 20 17:56:37 EDT 2013

*BINGHAM, J. S. / Translated from the Italian of Dr. Ercole Dal Rio /
Prefaced An Essay on the Origin of the Game by Eyles Irwin. /THE
INCOMPARABLE GAME OF CHESS/*/./ /Developed after a new method of the
greatest facility, from the first elements to the most scientific
artifices of the game./

Printed for J. J. Stackpole, London. 1820. 8vo, pp. xv, 340.

Dal Rio (c. 1718-c. 1802), also known as "Del Rio", was an Italian
lawyer, author and one of the "Modenese Masters". He was known as "the
Devil who could never be beaten" and is considered to be the founder of
the Italian School of Chess.This title was first published in Italy in
1769, and is divided into three parts, the first of which is wholly
theoretical, the second wholly practical, and the third has been reduced
to twenty end games, or "situations". Our offering is the first English
language edition, presented in a recent (and most pedestrian) re-bind in
plain green buckram with new endpapers and stamped gilt spine lettering.
It is a sturdy and serviceable binding but rather plain-looking (and we
do not claim responsibility for it). Inscribed in pencil on the third
preliminary blank page are the words: "E C (?) Dale / Dear Henry / I
told you I had an old book on chess / it looks as dry as Hell to me but
you might derive some hidden virtue / yours / E C (?) Dale". Ink
signature at top of title page in 19th century "copper plate"
handwriting: "Henry Bird, Philadelphia" (possibly the well-known 19th
century English chess master, Henry Edward Bird [1830-1908], the author
of the book "Chess History and Reminiscences"). No other markings to
text, which is generally bright and in excellent condition for its age.

Price: $250.00.

Terms of sale: The price is in USD. Payment by check, credit card, or
PayPal. Postage and packing charge within North American will be $10;
overseas $25. Returnable within seven days of receipt if found to be not
as described.

Greenfield Books Ltd.
Rare books sought, bought and sold
Member: ABAC/ILAB
217 Academy Road,
Winnipeg, MB R3M 0E3 Canada
Toll-free: 866-263-BOOK (2665)
Telephone: 204-488-2023
Web site: http://www.greenfieldbooks.com

Hours of operation: 	Tuesday through Saturday,
			10 to 5:30
			Sunday and Monday by appointment