[Rarebooks] FS: Discounted Steinbeck Autograph Draft Letter

Allington Books allingtonbooks at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 09:19:01 EST 2013

*PRESENTLY DISCOUNTED. WAS $1,375.  NOW $500.
*

*Steinbeck, John*; vanden Heuvel, Jean; Felker, Clay. *Original Typed
Letter Signed from Jean vanden Heuvel to John Steinbeck TOGETHER WITH John
Steinbeck's Original Autograph draft reply.* New York: John Steinbeck and
Jean vanden Heuvel, 1963. First edition. PRESENTLY DISCOUNTED. WAS
$1,375.   From John Steinbeck's original files kept by him in his Manhattan
Apartment: An original letter typed letter signed from Jean vanden Heuvel
and Clay Felker to John Steinbeck about the television show "What's Going
on Here?", SIGNED BY JEAN VANDEN HEUVEL and CLAY FELKER, TOGETHER WITH the
John Steinbeck's original draft of his reply written, as was his custom, in
pencil on a lined sheet of yellow paper measuring approximately 12 1/2 " by
8". The letters are stapled together for filing and each is in Fine
condition. [The Producers' letter carries a pencil note at the top made by
Steinbeck's Assistant "JB" (Janet Beckman)]. Jean vanden Heuvel and the
former Esquire editor, Clay Felker, produced the 1963 satirical sketch
comedy about the news of the day titled "What's Going on Here?" staring
Roger Bowen, Peter Cook, Barbara Harris, and others. In their letter to
John Steinbeck dated May 7, 1963 the Producers ask John Steinbeck to watch
the show and to provide them with his reaction to it.  In his reply, sent
August 13, 1963 - as noted by Janet Beckman at the head of Steinbeck's
draft reply, Steinbeck begins "Dear Janet / I had your letter of May 7 /
regarding What's going on Here? I saw / it saturday night and again sunday.
/ I thought it was wonderful. Can't understand / the Tribune review." The
Tribune apparently panned the show, and Steinbeck goes on to mention that
"We've talked to lots of people and all / loved it.... // Good God! if
television could be that / way, I, for one would have some interest / in
it." Steinbeck goes on to give only one suggestion for the show and
finishes his letter by writing: "Anyway I hope you will do more of / this
and soon. And spare no one."  Two fine letters from John Steinbeck's
personal files, including John Steinbeck's draft letter written entirely in
his own hand. Fine. stapled sheets. (#00003379)        *$500.00*

Subject to prior sale as well as to being put on hold for a customer's
consideration.  Orders sent to an address in North Carolina will be charged
the applicable sales tax.

*Payment is due at purchase.*  Items are returnable for a refund as long as
we receive notice of the return within 3 days of Buyer's receipt of the
item, and then receive the item in the same condition as delivered to Buyer
within 15 days of its delivery to Buyer.

*Photographs* in addition to that on our site are available on request.
(Additional photographs are with the ABE listing for this item -- however,
to obtain the Sale List Price, you must order at
www.allingtonbooks.com.<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001F1SaE78OAS6EJhjXeys0uD3-zL18brtHCsv8M1tRMAxaefe_WyCt15tiFES2dzULO8MuAVH0VSdl3platRdWQL44S7VYEedb9_A3rY6bwqkzgHN_haRx0BOdfGvJkeCo57fow-dWEc_qO7W0u_J_PvEpONdVnBPqQen-puIgRArUkSM6k3I7QJ3wq9RTRFYaeSvV4fpZzA_1ju1nQPzfheyCIKTe9zGWn-8iWDZEvkdA-F71w2F9BOYXJ32RAtDR0pxGluOarJsWHcH9IqxonN9l5E2RMXIvB20AX35O2R98NyGixMNLTA==>
)

Best Wishes,

Stephen
Allington Antiquarian Books, LLC